Painting unpainted aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ipaddle

Reaction score
I want to paint an aluminum truck toolbox. It is unpainted, and old so it is no longer super shiny.
How should I prep it to paint? I want to paint it black. Would regular high quality rattle can be ok, or would epoxy be better?

Also I am thinking that "do it yourself" truck bed liner paint kits might work well. Would prep be different for this material, such as no need to prime?

Lastly, if the box needs to be acid washed first, would vinegar work, or is something stronger needed? The aluminum is well weathered (dull not shiny) but in very good shape.

Thank you for any ideas.

I would wash with 50/50 vinegar and water. Prime with etching primer and paint with whatever you want. Personally I would use Rustoleum primer and paint because it’s cheap and when you want to touch up or recoat, it’s cheap and easy. If you want a little more durability, Rustoleum can be mixed with hardener and sprayed or rolled. I painted my boat this way 2 years ago and am still happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I would wash with 50/50 vinegar and water. Prime with etching primer and paint with whatever you want. Personally I would use Rustoleum ...
Ditto, less I use straight vinegar on a copper scrubbie pad & rinse w/ water.

Thank you Weldor and Dale for the help. I suppose the vinegar you all are mentioning is regular kitchen vinegar.

The Rustoleum sounds like a reasonable way to paint. Is the Rustoleum the water base or oil base
paint? What brand is the hardener? Can the paint and hardener be found at Lowes or Home Depot?

Thank you very much for the help.

I strongly second the motion to prime with Self Etching Primer. Get at Wal-Mart in the Automotive department. The primer is very important, and this type is specifically for Aluminum.

Good luck!

CMOS

2563520a75170865be6a5701fd4b4a4c.jpg

This is what I used. Tremclad is rebadged Rustoleum here in Canada. The proform hardener is available at Napa auto parts. In the states valspar makes one available at tractor supply. Paint is oil based enamel. Thin with acetone when it’s cooler or xylene when it’s hotter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk