First boat project, Lot’s of ?’s, LoneStar Holiday

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davescustomdesigns

Reaction score
Hello All, I’m a newbie to the boating world, bear with me! Lol. Recently I purchased a boat and after doing some research, I think it’s a ‘56 or ‘57 LoneStar Holiday 16ft. It seems to be in fairly good shape after removing over 200gals of leaves and water...Shopvac was doing overtime! It’s gutted, no floor, no foam, no seats, nothing but hull, stringers, aluminum seat boxes and the dash. I guess my question is, what do I do now? How do I move forward in restoring this boat? Should I strip the aluminum of paint and seal rivets? What products and procedures do I need to consider? I’m a carpenter so I’m confident in my skills just need to know the steps to consider before starting. Any advice, warnings and/or tips are appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• 506E44A6-3E55-4CB3-A2A0-47F96E00E24E.jpeg
    506E44A6-3E55-4CB3-A2A0-47F96E00E24E.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 666
  • 03630D25-5151-4C04-A60A-9F0E17415E40.jpeg
    03630D25-5151-4C04-A60A-9F0E17415E40.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 666
Depends on the level of finish you want and the intended use. It’s sitting on the trailer now so it’s a good time to plop the hose in and see if and where it leaks. From there you can either totally strip it or simply sand the rough spots and feather the edges and repaint. It’s a blank canvas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Weldor! After removing well over 200gals I didn’t even consider filling it back up! Lol Makes sense though, plugs clear so the shopvac can stay on break! My plan is to make a multi-purpose boat of it. I’d like to restore it to the leisure styling it originally had but add features to easily convert to a comfortable 3man fishing boat. I’ll have to sketch the design and post pics later but I think my idea will work. I’m thinking of bench seating along the rear sides with a secondary removable deck that sits atop giving space for aerated livewell, pedestal seats, and storage. A casting/trolling platform on the bow w/ quick release pedestal seat. Larger or multiple motor, currently has 35hp evinrude with Johnson controls, said to run but by appearance I think it needs some help. Possibilities are endless, wish the funding was too! Lol

35 is probably good. I run a 16’ utility with a 1983 Johnson 35 tiller. It planes easily with 3 big fellas and gear and just flies when I’m alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now is the time to check the hull. After you are sure it is sound, might as well strip it and repaint.
If you are a carpenter, no reason you can't put it back together with wood. I would consider coating all of the wood with two coats of marine epoxy. Paint the surfaces that will be exposed to UV light.

Thanks Ppine! A visual inspection shows some damage to the transom, looks like a hatchet was used to break ice (welcome to Mi!) near the drain plug. A buddy can “weld” aluminum so I’m not to concerned. Transom needs reinforced anyway if I decide to upgrade the motor/motors, jury is still out on that idea. I’m looking at using black locust for a lot of the wood features, the bow deck, accent trims, custom rod and equipment holders, etc. 1/2in non-treated marine ply will be used for most of the floor, walls and storage compartments. A few cool features of BL is that it glows under black light, plus it’s amazing durability to the elements and I can source it from a small sawmill locally here in W.Mich! Having experience with low voltage led lighting, I can’t wait to play around with the final finishes!
I really need to take the time to sketch the boat design, then share it and take notes from you seasoned vets! Being so close to Lk. Mich and the Grand river has me motivated but I know this is a project for the 7-P’s! Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance!

Latest posts