Review: Kipawa 3 blade prop, Lowe 1040 & harbor freight batt

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
Today was my first day out on my all electric Lowe 1040 with a second passenger AND my first use of my Kipawa 3 blade prop on my MK 50.

Last year I had a Tracker 1032 and even with one person aboard it was as shaky as a drunk at a roadside sobriety test. I used the Tracker one season and couldn't wait to dump it as I'd never have risked taking it out with two persons aboard.

I replaced it with a Lowe 1040 and with one person I was surprised at how stable it is compared to the Topper. Solo I could easily stand, cast, steer, and move about as needed. WOW! What a treat!

The Lowe specs are way better also, and the proof is in the water.

Topper -- Person load 275 -- Max weight cap. 320 -- Max hp 3 --- Transom height 13.3" -- Beam 46"

Lowe -- Person load 325 -- Max weight cap. 419 -- Max hp 5 --- Transom height 15" -- Beam 56"

Everything about the Lowe is top notch, fit, finish, construction. It even has oar mounts! The one thing I was not able to do with it because I was fitting it out is carry a second passenger. Today I got a chance to spend the day on it with my GF's son.

Together we weigh in at ~320 pounds, and with all of my gear, three 35 Ah batteries, a new dashboard, the TM, (no seats) rods, and tackle, I'm sure we met the 419 pound max weight limit.

The boat handled superbly. We were both able to stand, cast, and drive the boat without a hint of instability on the Lowe. It's less noisy than the Topper too when the wind gave us a ripple chop. The one down side was as I expected a bit of a loss in top speed compared to the narrower topper. Since it's wider than and taller than the topper it lost about .8 mph top speed. I expected it so no biggie.

Overall a BIG thumbs up on the Lowe 1040 with one or two persons aboard.

Oh... it fits in the bed of my Silverado so I can hand launch it anywhere without having to worry about trailer problems.

I bought the Kipawa not because it has some purported speed gain, the main factor was aquatic weeds. For all but the most dense impassible routes the prop chews the weeds like a hungry aquatic dinosaur. No fooling. I bet that if the darn TM shaft didn't clog up and send them downward it would never bog down with weeds.

Today was an especially challenging day for boating in weeds. I chose a seldom used boat ramp, with canals choked with growth from the hot summer days. We went through some of the thickest hydrilla and eel grass I've ever seen. It was so thick the DF saw it as bottom! Still with the motor tilted to just below the waterline the Kipawa chewed it up and spit it out like an industrial paper shredder.

The TM shaft was the biggest source of problems, but by reversing the TM the Kipawa generally sucked the weed down and spit them out. Only a very few times (in 6 full hours on the water) did I have to clear the blades. The first time I got into an unravelling hardball which threw the blades Waaayyy out of balance, another time a huge glop of cement like mud held on to the prop for a ride. A third time some huge alien like vegetative seed pods wrapped around the TM base and choked the prop. No forward/reverse machinations would cut them up.

My GF's son was so impressed with the Kipewa he's buying one for his Tracker 1436 with a 55 pound thrust salt water MK.

I have a L-A-R-G-E 95 Ah AGM battery that is just so big and heavy it is unrealistic to use in my Lowe. I tried balancing its weight and due to the fact I am still wanting to have a second cell as a "Spare tank" (~120 lbs total in just batteries) made for a very heavy boat. So I bought three of the Harbor freight 35Ah AGM solar (multi purpose) which give me more running time than the BIG cell with less weight that's easier to distribute.

To date I've had many hours on them and today I got nearly 6 hours of constant run time in some SERIOUSLY dense weeds from two cells before changing over to my "spare tank" for the last leg of the trip. I only drained them to 12.0 volts which is right around the 50% state of charge the battery gurus recommend not going below for the best cell life.

I've read the mostly positive reviews on these cells and the most negative ones I think I can only attribute them to users draining the cells too hard, and too low for them to survive. I may buy two more so I can take the boat out for two consecutive days and be able to trickle charge the previous day battery and not have to worry if they will charge fully in time for the next day.

Gary:

I'm a couple hours north of you, and also recently bought the 1040 but haven't had a chance to get it wet yet.

Question: How was "wave slap" on the boat. Is it noisy? (For sneaking up on the bigguns, this is why I normally prefer semi-vees). Did you feel the need to use any noise deadening such as carpeting or mats?

Thanks in advance!

Tinny Fleet said:
Gary:

I'm a couple hours north of you, and also recently bought the 1040 but haven't had a chance to get it wet yet.

Question: How was "wave slap" on the boat. Is it noisy? (For sneaking up on the bigguns, this is why I normally prefer semi-vees). Did you feel the need to use any noise deadening such as carpeting or mats?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, in relative terms compared to the Topper it was MUCH quieter in ripple waves caused by a headwind, and the motor is now quieter with the 3 blade prop. My passenger was very impressed by the general lack of sound and he has a Tracker. I judge the boat overall noise envelope by how close we get strikes from snakeheads. These fish are V-E-R-Y skittish and are spooked really easily. ANY noise from a boat will cause them to rush from the shallows away from the source of the sound.

Yesterday my passenger was hitting them directly abeam of us in a canal ~30'-40' wide. That's a first. In the past, we have to cast well ahead of us along the shoreline to get snakehead strikes.

Now I have to qualify some of the internally created hull noise regarding carpeting.

I wear crocks and my passenger wore sneakers so I suppose if you wore clunky shoes (or had a female passenger with hard soled and heel type shoes, perish forbid) and generally banged gear about you'd want carpet. Also ALL of my gear is plastic of one sort or another so there's little there to contribute to hull noise.

For me I won't install carpet because I would rather stand in a half inch of water than a soggy carpet, and I HATE the mildew smell you can get from drying carpet... but YMMV.

Oh, congrats on the Lowe, I'm sure you will be as fond of it as I am of mine.

gnappi said:
Tinny Fleet said:
Gary:

Thanks in advance!

Actually, in relative terms compared to the Topper it was MUCH quieter in ripple waves caused by a headwind, and the motor is now quieter with the 3 blade prop. My passenger was very impressed by the general lack of sound and he has a Tracker. I judge the boat overall noise envelope by how close we get strikes from snakeheads. These fish are V-E-R-Y skittish and are spooked really easily. ANY noise from a boat will cause them to rush from the shallows away from the source of the sound.

Yesterday my passenger was hitting them directly abeam of us in a canal ~30'-40' wide. That's a first. In the past, we have to cast well ahead of us along the shoreline to get snakehead strikes.

Now I have to qualify some of the internally created hull noise regarding carpeting.

I wear crocks and my passenger wore sneakers so I suppose if you wore clunky shoes (or had a female passenger with hard soled and heel type shoes, perish forbid) and generally banged gear about you'd want carpet. Also ALL of my gear is plastic of one sort or another so there's little there to contribute to hull noise.

For me I won't install carpet because I would rather stand in a half inch of water than a soggy carpet, and I HATE the mildew smell you can get from drying carpet... but YMMV.

Oh, congrats on the Lowe, I'm sure you will be as fond of it as I am of mine.

Rubber stall mats are supposed to be pretty good for jon boat floors. May also be called anti-fatigue mats.

Normally walking on bare aluminum is pretty quiet, it's when you drop that split shot, pliers, or whatever that you really want something less resonant.

Hah! Thanks Gary. BTW, I'm working on a design to go on a magnetic decal on my van door on...water and conservation testing. Something greenish with maybe a pink pelican in the middle.... :)

Tinny Fleet said:
Hah! Thanks Gary. BTW, I'm working on a design to go on a magnetic decal on my van door on...water and conservation testing. Something greenish with maybe a pink pelican in the middle.... :)

Remember to NEVER EVER leave magnetic anything on a vehicle during a rain, they slide right off perhaps onto the windshield of a following vehicle. Ouch, I can see that lawsuit :)

Latest posts