Drain plug and before and after pics......

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmadill

Reaction score
This is a 1961 Alumacraft 12' row boat I bought last month.
That old drain plug has been rolling around in the back of the boat for decades.

I was wondering where I could find a spare. Went to the local boat shop that usually has EVERYTHING!

found a metal drain and plug combo. This old one would screw into that drain so I bought the plug and brought it home but it would not fit, to my surprise.

threads were finer, but again, this old plug fit that new drain. Also tried a half-inch rubber plug that was too big.

Any ideas?

And here are before and after pics. I really didn't want to paint the boat but since someone already had many many years ago and since I hated the color, I decided to paint. It is a "good from far, but far from good" paint job but is an improvement.

Paid $300 for the boat, trailer and oars and sold the trailer and oars for $130 since I had a better trailer and new oars.

Attachments

• tinboat.plug.paint.jpg
    tinboat.plug.paint.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,118
I hate it when stuff like this happens. Drive me nuts.

The new plug fits the new flange. The old plug fits the new flange. The new plug doesn't fit the old flange. I assume the old plug fits the old flange. Maybe the old flange is gummed up. Clean it out (the inside threads) and try the new plug again?

You also say the threads on the new plug are finer, which might indicate it isn't a correct fit. Additionally, you say a 1/2" rubber plug won't fit. A dime is about 3/4" (maybe a little less), so based on your photo this is a little confusing. If this were me and cleaning the threads in the flange doesn't work, I would take the old plug to the plumbing aisle at my local hardware store and look for a match -- brass ones maybe.

BTW -- I like your paint job.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 8.33.00 PM.png

Thanks for the reply. My old plug does fit the boats flange. Just wanted a spare one.

This old plug has been rattling around the back of the boat for decades. Thought I could use a spare in case it got lost.

But I did think of a way to better secure it for travel.

There is a short rusty chain attached to the stern but I don't know how it could be attached to the plug.

But I took out some JB Weld and secured a steel washer to the plug and a magnet to the boat.

So at least it won't be wandering around the boat when I tow it.

Attachments

• plug.secure.jpg
    plug.secure.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 2,026
https://www.newtondailynews.com/2016/04/05/iowa-dnr-reminds-boaters-about-drain-plug-regulations/ayomd5h/
Its a law in Iowa. Its to help prevent spreading invasive aquatic species

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

schukster said:
https://www.newtondailynews.com/2016/04/05/iowa-dnr-reminds-boaters-about-drain-plug-regulations/ayomd5h/
Its a law in Iowa. Its to help prevent spreading invasive aquatic species

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

Taking it out makes it Soooo much easier to forget to put it back in before you launch again. But if the law requires it.....

I agree. I'm not sure what percentage of folks comply but it is on the books.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Keep the plug out at home and on the road which is State law many places.
Aquatic invasive species are a problem in the United States. A dry bilge helps to prevent their spread between waterways.

I have just gotten my first aluminium boat, a 1963 Meyers 14' semi v, and am dealing with the same issues about the garboard type plug. Alumacraft used a 1/2 inch plug in theirs, don't know if they still offer the type you have, but a brass or bronze 1/2 npt pipe plug should fit. There are plenty 1/2 inch ones out there even at the big box stores, but me I'm not so lucky, mine is 5/8'. Meyers still offers theirs, but if it is just a pipe plug type between cost & shipping it is just too rich for my blood. There is another option for both of us though, they make both a 1/2' & 5/8' rubber/metal type for live wells and such, just like the through transom plugs. They are inexpensive, so a couple of those in the tackle box or glove box would be handy. 8)

Latest posts