Beginners guide to modding a boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meisterluv

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am very new to this whole tiny boat thing and don't know where to start. I want to add a rear casting deck and some storage to my 16ft'r but don't know how to go about it. Can anyone point me to a how to guide?

General questions I have are:
1) how do I drill through my boat to add frames?
2) what tools do I need?
3) should I clean out the boat and water proof it before adding flooring?
4) where should gas, battery, placements be

5) i'm assuming this plywood flooring that was added is molding? (last pic)

Thanks!

My boat was bought like this and I would like to improve on it.

P395pfF.jpg

VoFt0t0.jpg

jBMjFTM.jpg

6JGpNxI.jpg

Eu0ddxU.jpg

NcS2Xrc.jpg

xF8pGQG.jpg

**mold??

I've never done the kind of modifications you are asking about, so can't help you there.

I think you just got the boat? If yes, then I would suggest you use it as is for awhile before deciding to dive into major changes. That way you will be more confident of what changes will best meet your needs.

If, however, you have been using this boat, then "Oops" & forget everything I just said. Haha.

Use the boat as is. Figure out if there are any leaks, if the transom is good, if it’s stable enough to stand comfortably on a casting deck, if you add weight to it will it plane.

When I started my project I thought I knew what I wanted the more I use the boat the more the project changes.

Basically I’d clean it up and use it for a season and see if your plans change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before I started on my boat I looked at 100s of projects that are on the site. Most projects have the type of boat in the title. Look for ones like yours and review them. You'll find the the answers to most of your questions and get some good ideas. Good luck with your project.

meisterluv said:

Do not drill holes in the hull unless absolutely necessary.

Honestly, some of the TinyBoat Nation full deck builds are sketchy at best for being seaworthy. Learn your rig as is. If you still think you want a rear casting deck, mock one up and try it on a calm day in shallow water. You may find it a bit too tippy to be safe when you change the center of gravity.

I pulled a guy out of Pardee Reservoir after he speared a wave and his boat dropped like a stone in about 200 ft of water. Floatation, max capacity and freeboard are important things to consider in your design

Thanks guys. I have taken the boat out 6 times so far this summer and overall am happy with most of it. The things i desire most are storage areas for the 3 batteries, elecrical box, and on board charger. Figured this could be solved by adding a rear casting deck. Thanks for the advice.

3 batteries seem like a lot for a small boat unless your running a 24v trolling motor and a 12v system for other things ( live well, lights, fish finder, etc )

If you have to run have/want to run 3 batteries I’d consider spreading the weight out.

You don’t want all the weight in the stern or it might not be able to plane.

TheLastCall said:
3 batteries seem like a lot for a small boat unless your running a 24v trolling motor and a 12v system for other things ( live well, lights, fish finder, etc )

If you have to run have/want to run 3 batteries I’d consider spreading the weight out.

You don’t want all the weight in the stern or it might not be able to plane.

I was gifted an 80lb 24v troller so the 2 batteries was a must. With the cranking battery where would the best placement be?

TheLastCall said:
If your decking the boat I’d put 2 under the front deck and 1 in the rear

Thanks. I just updated my images since they didn't load correctly. The previous owner placed a casting deck already.

Doc Arroyo said:
meisterluv said:

Do not drill holes in the hull unless absolutely necessary.

Honestly, some of the TinyBoat Nation full deck builds are sketchy at best for being seaworthy. Learn your rig as is. If you still think you want a rear casting deck, mock one up and try it on a calm day in shallow water. You may find it a bit too tippy to be safe when you change the center of gravity.

I pulled a guy out of Pardee Reservoir after he speared a wave and his boat dropped like a stone in about 200 ft of water. Floatation, max capacity and freeboard are important things to consider in your design

How do people secure a frame to the boat without drilling holes in to the hull? (sorry for stupid question)

Latest posts