Micro Power Pole

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfman

Reaction score
Anyone have one and how do you like it?
I think the standard PP would be overkill for my 14' jon but, that micro looks pretty interesting. Feedback appreciated.

I've got a manual one which works great. 3/4" fiberglass rod with a T handle and a stainless pointed cap epoxied on the other end.

That is what I currently have as well, it works ok where I fish but it is kind of rocky in a lot of areas and the stick pin really doesn't work then and I am also thinking of the convenience of just pushing a button.

For anyone like me ignorant of what this product is here's a link:

https://www.power-pole.com/micro

Pretty much an electric auto-deploying mount for a 3/4" fiberglass rod. Interesting. I wonder if it has enough grip on the rod to really hold the boat on rocks though.

Another member made one himself for about the same price as this read-to-go setup. His build is here:
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42710&start=15&hilit=power+pole

He noted that the rod didn't hold well on hard bottom, making noise as it walked across the rock. I imagine the roller motor design would have the same issue, so I wouldn't expect to be much better off than you are now, other than automating it. Even still, I'm definitely bookmarking this for the "wouldn't it be nice" additions to the boat I'll probably never get to.

Which is why I am asking for first hand experience. Yes in order to hold in a rocky bottom the pin needs to be pushed down and the boat lifted a little, I am not using it in hard current but there is current from the tide so it needs to stick pretty good. The other option is an anchor windlass for automatic anchor deployment, again, kind of an over kill for a jon boat. I just hate having to run to the back of my boat to drop anchor off the stern in a creek since I fish off the bow. I have considered an anchor trolley system though like I have on my kayak. This may really be the best option.

I'll just keep using the anchor mode on my trolling motor.

eshaw said:
I'll just keep using the anchor mode on my trolling motor.

Wise guy. :)

Yes, there is that option as well. For my application the anchor feature is really the only useful thing I could see on one of those TMs, I have a tiller model now and steering that thing up some of the creeks I like to fish is challenging enough, I can’t imagine trying to fish and steer one of those “auto” steering jobs, let alone trying to use a foot control for that matter.

https://www.facebook.com/Kevin-Dismukes-Kayak-Motor-Mounts-1614486855523495/

He'll Make you guys whatever you need.

I have used the MICRO on 3 different fishing kayaks in the past. I loved it. Very easy to deploy and release using the remote on a neck lanyard. Held reasonably well except in rough water. The kayaks still bounced around quite a bit.If you have any other questions just ask. I'll answer the best I can.

Thanks guys, I think it will probably work out, just need to start saving my pennies now.

Okay, I finally got one and installed it and got to try it out this weekend, it worked great but, seems a bit finicky with the remote, Maybe I just need to get used to it but, sometimes it seemed like it wasn't working and other times it seemed to do exactly what I expected it to do. Anyway, basically it worked great and I am going to love it. I will try to get a picture this weekend.

Latest posts