boat seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnhodg89

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just joined, so my apologies if this question has been asked elsewhere. I looked around and couldn't find any threads on it. I am trying to figure out what wood the seats on my old boat are made from.

I recently bought a 1965 Montgomery Ward Sea King 14' Aluminum V-bottom. I pulled the old dried out wooden seats, probably original, off the aluminum frames, hit them with a pressure hose, and sanded them with 80 grit. Both pieces are still usable, and one of them is a fairly attractive piece of lumber with a nice color and grain pattern that only became visible with some sanding and BLO. The wood is not pine or any kind of cedar I have ever messed with--it has a yellowish tint. About the same weight as an equivalent piece of clear pine, maybe slightly less.

This was not an expensive boat when it was made, so I doubt it's any kind of premium wood. Not heavy enough to be mahogany or oak, and it I am guessing Cypress, but that's just a guess based on the color and the fact that it's lasted this long without rotting out. Anyone know what kinds of materials the manufacturers used in the 60s? Any help would be appreciated.

John
Lawton, OK

I don’t know what was originally used. Starcraft made a lot of these boats for ward. I just finished a spit polish on a 12’ sea king and made new seats. The link to the thread is here if you’re interested.
https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?t=44152
Please post pics of your boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a pic of the boat on the trailer. The trailer is older than the boat, still a work in progress--it was beat to heck and unsafe when I got it, but I've replaced a bunch of things and gotten the rust under control. Still waiting to put some lights on it and carpet the bunks. Right now the boat is on it so I could work on the seats.

Also pictured is one of the seat mounts. The two for the front seat are gone--a previous owner had moved the middle seat forward, but I'm planning to row it some so I put that seat back. If anyone knows where I can find seat mounts like these, please let me know. I can probably fashion something that will work from aluminum sheet.

I am trying not to put too much money into this thing--the boat and trailer together cost me $100. I already had a set of oars, oar locks, a 50 lb trolling motor and battery from a wooden boat I built awhile back. Most of the lakes I fish are electric only. As much as I want to trick this one out, I don't see me spending much money on her. I want to get it in the water and fish.

John

Attachments

• boat on trailer.jpg
    boat on trailer.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 513
  • seat mount.jpg
    seat mount.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 513

Latest posts