Need advice on mounting trolling motor on a '74 meyers jon b

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeface

Reaction score
Hey all

First post here. I just bought this boat and trailer. It has an 18hp gas outboard and thats about it. I also have a intex mariner 4 inflatable
with 30lb thrust trolling motor and a new 100 ah battery. Transfering the 30lb troll and battery to the jon boat.

What i need to do at this point is mount the trolling motor. Been looking on google but not turning up a whole lot other than mounting
the troll off center of the bow? Anyway....does anyone know of a motor mount that mounts dead center on the bow? Im really not
sure how to proceed.

I will be restoring this boat and customizing it along the way but i gotta get passed this first hurtle to get it on the lake.

thanks!!

How did you put a bow mount trolling motor on an inflatable?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

hand controlled rear mounted troller. its all i have at the moment. was thinking of using it backwards unless theres a way to use it on it bow.

thats just the thing..... dunno where to stick it. is it possible to mount on the back of the boat or on the side in the rear?

You can mount it on the bow if that’s where you want it. You’ll have to fabricate a mount for it if you can’t clamp it over the gunnel. Closer to center is best. Loosen the screw below the head on the motor and you can swivel it around 180’ for a bow mount.
b15608c095c396eea79e1bc84428fb24.jpg

Mine is clamped over the gunnel with a piece of 1x2 wood below the rail on the outside of the boat. Been working good for me the last 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeface said:
hand controlled rear mounted troller. its all i have at the moment. was thinking of using it backwards unless theres a way to use it on it bow.

thats just the thing..... dunno where to stick it. is it possible to mount on the back of the boat or on the side in the rear?
Mount it to the Transom, next to the gas motor.. get a bow mount motor when funds allow.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

ok ill mount it beside the gas motor for now. should be cake to do.

thanks all for the help!

When you get around to bow mounting it, don't worry much about it pointing exactly at the center. Not at all necessary. 99% of them to do not point at the dead center.

Also, IMHO, a transom mount TM is nowhere near as efficient in directing the boat as is a bow-mounted TM. Just look at 100,000s of Professional Bass Boats. NONE of them is transom mounted. Those guys know what works best.

Come back when you want to put it on the bow. Spinning the head; using a mounting board; clamping it on the side, are all options.

Welcome aboard.

richg99 said:
When you get around to bow mounting it, don't worry much about it pointing exactly at the center. Not at all necessary. 99% of them to do not point at the dead center.

Also, IMHO, a transom mount TM is nowhere near as efficient in directing the boat as is a bow-mounted TM. Just look at 100,000s of Professional Bass Boats. NONE of them is transom mounted. Those guys know what works best.

Come back when you want to put it on the bow. Spinning the head; using a mounting board; clamping it on the side, are all options.

Welcome aboard.

I ran a transom mount motor on the bow of my boat for a few months. As mentioned, just remove the screw below the head, spin it around, and put the screw back. Then rig up a way to clamp it to the gunnel, or make a 90* adapter plate.

I've since upgraded to an actual bow mount, and it works a lot better. They're all over craigslist, I think I paid 150 for mine.

If it will fit over the gunwale, that works well. Whichever hand you reel with, put it on that side. Otherwise you will be swapping hands to use it. Like mentioned above, the head will swivel 180 by removing one screw. In the wind, it’s the front end of the boat that blows around so trolling motor at the front works well for boat positioning. That being said, clamping it in the transom isn’t the end of the world. My current boat has too wide a gunwale to clamp over so it’s on the transom for now and works well. I just try to fish with the wind.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
If it will fit over the gunwale, that works well. Whichever hand you reel with, put it on that side. Otherwise you will be swapping hands to use it. Like mentioned above, the head will swivel 180 by removing one screw. In the wind, it’s the front end of the boat that blows around so trolling motor at the front works well for boat positioning. That being said, clamping it in the transom isn’t the end of the world. My current boat has too wide a gunwale to clamp over so it’s on the transom for now and works well. I just try to fish with the wind.

Sometimes running one on the transom is like pushing a rope.

Agreed if you’re by yourself. Take a chunky fishing buddy to keep the front end planted! Lol.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Whichever hand you reel with, put it on that side. Otherwise you will be swapping hands to use it.

This is important, when I got my boat it already had the TM mounted on the bow and it was mounted on the right side, I am right handed and didn't think anything about it. Been using it for a few years now and the darn motor is always in the way it seems, not to mention making adjustments in steering means switching hands with my rod and reel, and it finally dawned on me recently that the motor was mounted on the wrong side of the boat! Now I have to remove my mounting bracket which I replaced since the one the original owner put on was crap and remount it on the other side of the bow. Dang it man!

Latest posts