What am I ?? do you know ???

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
Pappy
Donor

Post by Pappy » 10 Sep 2018, 18:33

I only know where one Lark in that amazing condition is....and it is in original unrestored condition at that.
We took this up to Tomahawk, Wi. to display it at the National Meet I told you about a few posts ago. This boat and owner are just a little ways away from where Shaugh lives.

Boat is an Arkansas Traveller.

Lesa has a 1957 Evinrude on the back of her 1953 Lyman. Love the look of that engine as well.

Xtremeboats
Shaugh

Post by Shaugh » 10 Sep 2018, 20:03

Nice.... sometimes the old ways are the right way.... No MFGs have the courage to make something like that anymore... aluminum shells.....Quality....made to last 3 lifetimes....

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 11 Sep 2018, 19:40

Pappy those do look great !! and that Arkansas Traveler it sweet !! Hope to get my Arkansas Traveler twin cockpit polished up and looking nice like that one does !!

And Shaugh, I agree with you totally !! all the nice styling is completely gone..

Pappy
Donor

Post by Pappy » 11 Sep 2018, 19:51

The same guy with the Ark. T. has a double cockpit as well to be done sometime in the future. Should be a nice one when finished.

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 11 Sep 2018, 20:51

here is my 14ft. twin cockpit Arkansas Traveler that started me back off into boats just before my Aero-Craft JCC popped up.. here is what it looked like when I bought it and after I stripped off what I didn't want on it.. its destined for a full restore... wood transom, gunwales, seat wood , all paint stripped, cockpits upholstered, a complete polish and a 1956 Mercury Mark 30 outboard ..
Attachments
8516[1].jpg
8521[1].jpg
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 16 Sep 2018, 12:16

Update on my Aero-Craft JCC .... Yesterday I went up to where my boat is stored to switch out my trailers... but the Marina had buried my boat with rows of Pontoon boats.. :roll: soooo.. no getting at it until spring now :( I switched out most of the rollers to bunks, I left the front two rollers to cradle the bow.. I ended up just taking off the rollers and adding bunks to the wobblers so they will still adjust and cradle the hull … hope this works out !!
Attachments
DSC00905.JPG

Weldorthemagnificent

Re: What am I ?? do you know ???

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 16 Sep 2018, 12:29

I much prefer bunks to rollers. Looks good so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 16 Sep 2018, 13:37

Thanks Weldorthemagnificent !! it took a couple trips and several measurements... then cutting a couple inches off the Wobblers to get them in a good position (I could probably shorten them a bit more ) the 2X6s should go between the runners on the hull and the 2X4s a few inches from the edge of the hull. those runners are 8 ft. long and that's how long the bunks are.. the front rollers that I left on are 11ft. from the transom, which is where the front roller is on the old trailer .. I may still shorten the wobblers and use 2X6s on the outsides, I'll have to see how this set up works first.. or.. if it works !!
Attachments
DSC00888.JPG
DSC00905.JPG

Weldorthemagnificent

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 16 Sep 2018, 13:46

The main thing is to let the bunks protrude beyond the transom so it doesn’t bend or hook.

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 16 Sep 2018, 19:08

Thanks.. I have been reading about that also. it makes me wonder about this boat... as its spent its entire life on this old trailer which appears to be the original factory built trailer for the boat as far as I can tell.. I've also seen a few more of these boats on this exact same trailer and the factory price list states the trailer for the Aero-Craft JCC is 15ft. long.. as you can see it over hangs the back about 3ft. ?? maybe those heavy duty runners along the bottom add the extra support needed ?? the bunks will probably be about 5 inches short of the transom if my "overall length" measurements are correct ... I may have to alter the bunks again or move the winch stand forward a bit to get the complete support..
Attachments
IMG_0621.JPG

Weldorthemagnificent

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 16 Sep 2018, 19:37

Probably hasn’t been trailered that much. It’s the beating and banging down the road that hurts them. My boats get towed a lot so I’ve seen how easy they can be damaged. I’ve extended the tongue on a couple trailers to get the length needed for proper support.
I wonder if the guys who made these old tin boats knew how long they’d last. Image
I found a tinny shipwreck last week while fishing a backwater. If you look close through the glare you can just make it out. My guess is it got loose and the ice killed it.

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 16 Sep 2018, 20:08

That makes a lot of sense … I want to give it as much care and support as possible . I thought of starting with 10ft boards but went with the 8ft.. that front winch stand has more holes for adjustment maybe that will work... if not I will go with longer bunks.. its hard to say about how long the manufactures thought their boats would last.. probably not this long !! lol... but at least Aero-Craft advertised that they were the only manufacturer that they knew of that used the strongest tinsel strength Aluminum available on their hulls and sides... so they must have been thinking about ruggedness or longevity or both..
that was a awesome find you found !! nice photo !! was it wrecked badly ??

Weldorthemagnificent

Post by Weldorthemagnificent » 16 Sep 2018, 20:13

Yeah it was split at the bow and pretty much flattened. No telling how long it has been down there.

surfman

Post by surfman » 17 Sep 2018, 12:09

oldboat wrote:Thanks.. I have been reading about that also. it makes me wonder about this boat... as its spent its entire life on this old trailer which appears to be the original factory built trailer for the boat as far as I can tell.. I've also seen a few more of these boats on this exact same trailer and the factory price list states the trailer for the Aero-Craft JCC is 15ft. long.. as you can see it over hangs the back about 3ft. ?? maybe those heavy duty runners along the bottom add the extra support needed ?? the bunks will probably be about 5 inches short of the transom if my "overall length" measurements are correct ... I may have to alter the bunks again or move the winch stand forward a bit to get the complete support..
That trailer is way too small for that boat. Better to have too much trailer tan not enough!

oldboat

Post by oldboat » 17 Sep 2018, 18:15

surfman wrote:
oldboat wrote:Thanks.. I have been reading about that also. it makes me wonder about this boat... as its spent its entire life on this old trailer which appears to be the original factory built trailer for the boat as far as I can tell.. I've also seen a few more of these boats on this exact same trailer and the factory price list states the trailer for the Aero-Craft JCC is 15ft. long.. as you can see it over hangs the back about 3ft. ?? maybe those heavy duty runners along the bottom add the extra support needed ?? the bunks will probably be about 5 inches short of the transom if my "overall length" measurements are correct ... I may have to alter the bunks again or move the winch stand forward a bit to get the complete support..
That trailer is way too small for that boat. Better to have too much trailer tan not enough!

Hello surfman !! that's what I thought as soon as I saw it too... but since.. I have seen a few others that were on the exact same trailer... then I came across a original factory price list and at the bottom it clearly states... Cruiser Trailer $265.00 15' this boat was the only cruiser model they made at that time and its shows it as 18 1/2 ft.... also kinda odd is it only sits on 4 rollers... 2 near the bow and 2 towards the stern... its still seems to small to me...
Attachments
page00[1].jpg