question about Painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinnesotaJoe

Reaction score
I have a 1957 Alumacraft Deep C... There is factory textured paint on the inside up to the waterline, its dirty and sun-faded but still in good shape, my question is what kind of results am i likely to get if i paint over the old paint? does anyone have experience with doing that? im not trying to restore the boat just make it look a little cleaner

Have you tried an acid-based cleaner? Unlike more abrasive cleaning powders such as Comet and Ajax, Bar Keepers Friend uses oxalic acid as its primary active ingredient. But the LIQUID version!

To your question, painting over any textured surface will cause you to lose some of the texture & pattern, less loss w/ spray paint vs brushed on. Never mind it would be a ***** to prep properly, as any abrasive prep, e.g., sanding, will cause even more texture loss.

If you resort to painting it, I’d suggest power washing and then washing in one direction only, using multiple rags, never putting a dirty rag back onto a cleaned surface, using acetone. Change rags often! Wear gloves & have proper or good ventilation.

Please let us know what you do & how it works out for you!

Latest posts