Difficulty with carpet adhesive

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Tracker Tournament V17 as a project.

The hull is in great shape, but the interior was rotten. The previous owner gutted it, started building the floor, and lost interest. All of the materials needed were included.

I'm having some trouble getting the carpet to cooperate on the aluminum trim pieces. It's very stiff and does not like to conform or stay put with regular outdoor carpet adhesive.

Is there an adhesive that will dry a little faster and stick better? Since there is no way to mechanically fasten the carpet to the aluminum, the adhesive needs to stick pretty good.

I'd use contact cement, coating on carpet and coating on tin. I'd prep the tin first, scuffing it up well. And if it were mine, I wouldn't leave the tin bare, but would at least zinc chromate prime it.

The trick to carpet adhesives is you need to let the glue 'tack up'. Apply too soon and it won't stick. SailRite has excellent videos on the topics of headliner and carpet headliner installations.

https://www.sailrite.com/How-to-Install-Carpet-Style-Headliner-Video

For your case, assuming your using standard indoor/outdoor carpeting, I fear your carpet is of a ply that is really thick.

I just finished carpeting my 06 175. Used 3M Super 77 adhesive spray. Worked great ! I used 20oz Marine carpet.

Spray metal down till you see a white film start to build. Wait 30 seconds and lightning spray carpet. Lay down the carpet, then you’ll have about 15 seconds to smooth it out. And it is stuck. On a larger section that you need more time, to straighten it . Don’t wait after spraying the metal.

The key thing here is once you put the carpet down. In 30 seconds it’s there for good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe the point is then TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON CAN OF GLUE you are using, as in those Sailrite videos for attaching boat headliners & carpets, they too used 3M spray glue. They not only specifically cautioned about NOT waiting for the glue to ‘tack up’, they actually do a pull test to 2 samples and they only one that stuck (to the point it ripped off the backing material when pulled) was the one where they waited.

For larger pieces, they advise working it section by section. Their videos are short, but very imformative.

DaleH said:
Maybe the point is then TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON CAN OF GLUE you are using, as in those Sailrite videos for attaching boat headliners & carpets, they too used 3M spray glue. They not only specifically cautioned about NOT waiting for the glue to ‘tack up’, they actually do a pull test to 2 samples and they only one that stuck (to the point it ripped off the backing material when pulled) was the one where they waited.

For larger pieces, they advise working it section by section. Their videos are short, but very imformative.

There are no instructions on the tub. It only says "see technical booklet for installation procedure."

I have not had an issue on panels where I can wrap the carpet around the edges and staple it.

I have used contact cement before. I didn't like having to coat both sides, and it is quite a bit more expensive than regular carpet adhesive. That being said, I really don't like the carpet adhesive either.

I may try the spray adhesive, seems a lot easier to work with.

Last night I redid the trim panel between the bow plate and front deck. I let it sit for a good 20-30 minutes, then laid the carpet on. I eventually clamped it, but it still didn't stick that well, it had raised overnight. It has been raining and very humid, I think that may be preventing the glue from drying.

As for the carpet, I do not know the specs on it since it was included with the boat. I'm guessing that it is just indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes/HD. It seems to be about the same thickness as what came on the boat.

MrGiggles said:
I have used contact cement before. I didn't like having to coat both sides, and it is quite a bit more expensive than regular carpet adhesive. That being said, I really don't like the carpet adhesive either.

FYI, the instructions on the spray adhesive tells you to spray BOTH sides. The glues are designed to stick to the material applied to, then to stick to itself ... hence the need to coat both pieces to be joined.

DaleH said:
MrGiggles said:

FYI, the instructions on the spray adhesive tells you to spray BOTH sides. The glues are designed to stick to the material applied to, then to stick to itself ... hence the need to coat both pieces to be joined.
Dale is right. This is a must with the spray.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked up a can of 3M 77. Wow, what a difference. Instant bond, carpet stays put right away. You will never catch me with a tub of glue again.

Yep my first reaction to. It’s super easy to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts