Refurbishing wood oars for Tinnies

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinny Fleet

Reaction score
Friends:

As my tin boats continue to age gracefully, the oars are aging way faster and not elegantly!

Of special concern is that the oar blades are delaminating as vertical cracks are showing up where they were glued together.

Also they are beat up on the very end (tip) where they banged into rocks, etc. Hey, if they were like new I wouldn't be out fishing, right? :)

I can figure out the rest of it (sand, varnish, paint, etc.) but the blades are the key.

Whats the best approach to getting them back to battery?

And if you are recommending an epoxy or fiberglass product, could you please be specific? There are so many out there.

Thanks in advance!

Oarsman spray, get it from Lowes, etc. I'll look at the right name and give you a shout. I use it on my fiberglass shaft Sawyer oars. Requires proper prep. I have 4 sanders of different kinds, so it's not hard to prep.

Tightbond 3 may help to kind of hold the blade cracks, you may have to clamp and add a cross scab. NRS makes a blade tip protector, or maybe scab with fiberglass cloth.

My oars cost more than any fishing rod I have, so they get care. But a row boat has to get down-stream. Also there is a set of back-up "plastic" oars under the seat. Also from NRS. Had them for 30 years and haven't failed me yet.

https://www.nrs.com/product/1300/carlisle-oar-shaft

These are very kind and smart folks and they come to work early. Buy once and be happy! Also you might find a used set on their trading page.

I don't know if this helps your situation but here is a un-used set of antique oars I have for a little 12' wooden flat bottom boat I have.. I have seen these brass ends on eBay from time to time.. and they look cool too.. !!

Attachments

• s-l1600[2] (6).jpg
    s-l1600[2] (6).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 870
  • s-l1600[1] (12).jpg
    s-l1600[1] (12).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 870
I recently inherited a pair of derelict oars, with the slates separating and blade ends tattered, left out in the weather for decades, perhaps.

I saw, but did not purchase, a pair of copper end-tips. The seller was asking $30. There was another listing for similar tips at $7.95 each, plus shipping.

The oars I am putting back together have splits and one was separate from the shaft. I've used dowel pegs, wood glue, clamps to secure them, and then fiberglas resin, then again in dicey places, a small bit of fiberglas cloth to make them secure. Before all the clamping, I took two 2.5 inch brass wood screws and rigidly affixed the loose bits to the blade.

Then marine polyeurethane coats (2) on each.

I still regret selling the alumacraft Queen oars with a boat...I felt sorry for the buyers. Now I feel sorry for me; there was artistry in the old oars.

Best wishes

Helmsman Spar Urethane is the product. I tried the Minwax in a spray can. After putting a finish on the jet jon floors this week, would recommend a brush and can instead of spray for better coverage.

What size is your boat, the one I row is 16ft overall but 14ft inside. I row whitewater, lakes and rivers. Nothing better in a row boat than a good set of oars. And I keep the NRS "plastic" pair as a back-up. They break down for easy travel and storage.

Attachments

• 100_3087.JPG
    100_3087.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 824

Latest posts