leaking lowe deck boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmckevitt

Reaction score
I own a 2004 Lowe Tahiti 224 deck boat that has developed a leak under the front part of the keel guard. I found it with the water fill method. Because it's under the guard it is not visible. Does anyone have a way tofix this problem?

I suppose you may be able to epoxy coat the entire hull but unfortunately the correct way to fix it is to strip the boat of the floor and find out what exactly is leaking and why. It could be a crack it could be a rivet it could be a failed weld... Steelflex epoxy may possibly solve the problem but it may be temporary and you might have to strip the hull down anyway. Hard to know the answer when you can't see exactly what is leaking.

At worst, cut a 6” or 8” inspection plate hole in that area, air it out WELL & weep Glu-vit or West Systems Flex 650 into that riveted area. Best repaired from the inside, at least from what you tell us via cyber-space.

And ANY ventilation to the bilges a good thing, so periodically open that hatch up and let the hull air out, and that’s how I would leave it when not used (if area has a bimini or whatever) or whilst stored for the winter.

On an frp (read: plastic) boat w/ wood stringers, I once stuck ahairdryer on ‘warm’ into such inspection port to air out and dry out the hull ... do NOT use it on HOT! Are you want to do is get warm air moving, and warmed tin will accept the glue better. Read my posts on using that Flex 650, amazing stuff and a kit is only $20. Plus it is flexible, whereas Glu-Vit is not.

Dale, thank you. I'm going to replace the deck carpeting, so I have to go a little further in taking the boat apart to get to the area of the leak.

Latest posts