Rivet length

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan the man

Reaction score
I am going to need some 1/4", 5/16" rivets at least 2" long.. Anyone have a supplier?? Already checked with JayCee..

Stan

Thanks Dale..
I should have been more specific.. I'm looking for a brazer head rivet in 1/4", and 5/16", in 2" or better.. this is for replacing a transom in one of my old boats.. Its what the manufacturer used..
I may have to gather phone numbers and start calling around.. or do something completely different..

Stan

How many would you need?

FWIW when I replaced my transom skins inside & out (Starcraft) where the inside transom piece joined to the inside trim, I used 3/16” diameter ‘brazier’ head rivets from JayCee in various lengths. Same for where the outside piece was joined to the topsides on each side & all around the bottom (376 rivets to be exact!).

Otherwise the OEM Starcraft method had stainless steel machine bolts tying the outside, splashwell & inside pieces together. Plus the transom core material too, of course. I used thick nylon washers under the SS bolt heads and SS washers on each side, plus covered the SS fastener body w/ adhesive-lined heatshrink.

I have ZERO evidence of any electrolysis or galvanic corrosion ... as one would expect to achieve when using this superior method to ISOLATE the 2 metals from each other.

Dale,.. All I can say is,.. Great minds must think alike.. :LOL2: I was considering the very thing you did.. I use that marine heat shrink in my radio hobby.. Down size the bolts just a bit and I wouldn't have to oversize the holes.. The SS washers over the nylon is nice,.. hadn't thought of that.. And plenty of 5600.. or 5200, I cant remember what I have.. Its just the transom that is giving me fits.. 1 1/4" of ply between the outside skin and splash pan, and 3/8" ply on the outside of the skin.. Waiting to hear from a few places about rivets, but I don't see anyone dealing me such a small quantity (30 or so)..

Thanks for the reply

Stan

On wood transomscI drill the through hole oversize, tape the lowest end w/ duct tape, raise the higher end of the boat as high as I can, then wet-out the hole ID w/ thinned epoxy. Once kicked, I then fill the hole w/ thickened epoxy to make a PERMANENT & waterproof ‘plug’ protecting the wood core.

Still use the nylon washers to protect the tin from the SS hardware.

thanks for posting this thread.. and the link to a supplier, as I too am in the market for the long rivets for my Arkansas Traveler project, but haven't gotten to deep into looking for them yet.. this may shorten the search... lol

From what I've seen so far, you can get a 1/4" x 2" rivet,.. but it's going to be a round head.. The brazer heads are 1 1/4".. I will be going the SS route where I need to.. Brazer head everywhere else..

Just for someones info.. I have not ordered from them yet, but I did call and talk to someone about rivets for my project.. They do list 1/4" rivets over 2"..
They do sell to individuals, but have a minimum on special order rivets.. But you can get what you need.. :D

https://www.rapidrivet.com/

Stan

Latest posts