Hatch Hindges - What kind? Where to buy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Girevik

Reaction score
I want to use a piano style hinge for my storage hatches because I don't want something screwed down on top of the carpet as the hinge. The only problem is I am using plywood and don't like the idea of screwing into the side ... thru the layers. That doesn't sound like a good way to go.

My boat has 1 hinge that I can save/reuse that I would call a sort of offset piano hinge. When in place it makes the shape of an upside down T. The screws would go in from underneath.

540c9ebb63b4b6ebb3f3e915fb9bc0d4.jpg

I want to use something similar. I found a hinge online but am not sure about the measurement. Do you want to hinge to stick up above the carpet at all or should it be flush. If my deck is 1/2" and there are 2 layers of carpet ... that would be approx 3/4". So should the vertical part of the T should be 3/4" ? Or should it be taller so that the hatch can open?

For those interesed, this is the hinge I was looking at online.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/sea-ray-72-x-1-5-8-inch-16-gage-anodized-aluminum-boat-slotted-piano-hinge

If you know of a better place to buy them please me know.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

As a long time hobby welder, I have purchased similar products from / through local welding and metal supply businesses. Wouldn’t hurt to see the price comparison. Built a smoker once, and used a piano hinge on the door. I remember them having steel and stainless steel hinges.....maybe aluminum.
Another place I’d try is a business that makes or sales trailers. (Especially custom trailers). They usually have a huge catalog of special hardware such as latches and hinges. I built a trailer several years ago and went through a nice big catalog of goodies.....they even gave me a catalog for my own.

I would go 5/8. Yes you want the top of the hinge slightly above the wood. 2 layers of carpet will be less than 1/4. I like this style of hinge.

I get mine from trailer manufacturers. They come flat so you can bend them yourself or have them bent by anyone with a sheet metal brake.

I bought a bunch of these which may or may not work for your project. They turned out to be factory seconds but the fix was easy and the price was the best I could find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-LOT-Aluminum-Offset-Piano-Hinge-12-Long-x-1-2-Offset-x-1-5-8-Mountable/173493850941?hash=item28650a133d:g:T-AAAOSwKytZMQAR

Thank you all for your replies.

I am thinking I can get some wide piano hinges (1 1/2" or 2") and take them to a metal fabrication shop and get them to bend them. There is a shop not too far from my house that said they would only charge me "a case of beer" to do something like that. :D

So, I will give that a try. I can buy really long piano hinges, get them bent, and then cut them to size for a lot less than buying them pre-bent.

I will let you know how that turns out.

Latest posts