Any tips for lifting a 10hp?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, new to the site but I love it so far. I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks or tips for an easier way of taking small motors on and off the boat when it's in the water. I have a Evinrude 9.9 on a 14ft. Because of my setup I need to take it off to get the hull up the bank and on shore when I leave the cabin for the week. It's a 6' bank so a bit of a pita if the motor is on. I'm struggling to get it off the transom and onto the dock while maintaining my balance. I can lift the weight it's just the awkward balance of the motor when standing in a moving boat. Any tips or contraptions people use?

p.s. yep I know a boat lift would be nice but it won't work in our river that can go from 2' to 12'. I need to have it up on shore.
Thanks!

Lift with your knees, that's about all I got, sorry. I feel your pain and the 4s engines will kill you. I had a 9.9, I think it weighed 94 lbs, it was an older yamaha, pulled my elbow taking it off the boat. Now I have a 20hp, I bolted that sucker on the transom.

I've found that a lot of my boat loading issues disappeared once I got over my fear of water... sometimes you just gotta get in there.... how's the bottom ? is there a rock bottom close by ?

If getting in the water isn't possible then why not an A frame mounted on a pivot and anchored with cables so it extends over the water. With a simple deer hoist mounted on it...

when not in use you fold it back up the hill...

Medieval-Crane-394x295.jpg

I too was going to say “lift w/ a bend in your knees”!

But I think I’d be more inclined to throw on shorts or waders and lift the OB - from the water - up from arms length away, vs trying to get from a tippy boat up onto the dock.

Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't thought about some sort of boom like contraption, I'm going to mull that one over. Getting into the water is easy (sand and rock) when it's 2' a little trickier when the water is up and it's at 6' lol

Well, I'd loosen the bolts holding the motor in place while it is in deep enough water. Then tilt it up. Gravity will keep it in place.

Then after getting out of the boat, I'd spin it around and pull the boat transom first up on the beach.

Lift off motor, standing on dry land.

We have a roller ramp that pulls the whole boat out of the water with a winch. very little muscle required. The boat in this pic is small and sans outboard but I’ve hauled up much larger boats with motors attached. Its actually really convenient to load and unload gear, work on the boat, add/subtract motors, etc. much more convenient than a hoist or a dock. This set up is used around here a lot in the rivers where a hoist is impractical or impossible due to the drop-off along the shore.359BE58E-D07D-4F2D-98F3-CAB24FA525EB.jpeg
The ramp was built from a kit. Total cost was maybe $300 including lumber. The ramp actually ends at the water where you see the last rollers. You hop on shore, clip the winch to the bow eye and crank her up. If I wanted to, I could reposition the ramp so the transom was on shore further for motor maintenance/removal. Also, I can haul this up the bank by myself to avoid ice damage if you’re in an area that freezes like we are.

Some good ideas here to think on, thank you very much! I don't want to get too complicated in the solution. I can still lift it, it's just a pain trying to lift, place, balance, then set on the dock. I was hoping maybe someone had designed a sling or modified a furniture dolly in a creative way and I could steal a good idea. If I find a solution I'll share back!

lakemap said:
We have a roller ramp that pulls the whole boat out of the water with a winch. very little muscle required. The boat in this pic is small and sans outboard but I’ve hauled up much larger boats with motors attached. Its actually really convenient to load and unload gear, work on the boat, add/subtract motors, etc. much more convenient than a hoist or a dock. This set up is used around here a lot in the rivers where a hoist is impractical or impossible due to the drop-off along the shore.
The ramp was built from a kit. Total cost was maybe $300 including lumber. The ramp actually ends at the water where you see the last rollers. You hop on shore, clip the winch to the bow eye and crank her up. If I wanted to, I could reposition the ramp so the transom was on shore further for motor maintenance/removal. Also, I can haul this up the bank by myself to avoid ice damage if you’re in an area that freezes like we are.

Yeah that is sort of where I started on this. However we have a pretty steep bank (6' vertical) so I'm worried that when I'm pulling it up with the motor attached, the motor end is unsupported and stressing the metal with the winch pulling one way and the motor pulling down the other.
UcqJ9njbdGgwJ9XGBXURZg01MDzqaqRcXNEm5wtN3Jmpseoh2JkvoQBASSyBs65Cj40fxEogqPfAr8P8kHix2zjf9cJ7NEF-9FVpULite47i6uCb7_u2X7KRtblbjrVUvSHucwVYcRVtZWJUrTwPkHK_hxraxsAK0YHK3N3Z6PbsQK4Wi94cibq0DXMO4a0GtGJQz9fWHnbgH6XYV0xDxPe8vayVh5dKXhJ-lzIeULgVbiIhjmzQKUuD2Ku7gNv6HYHWF8IX0dqeXfoh-9iQeQHI2lyFL4C9tMzZholFZz5aKRYuG6vYj2SrjcxGMYRSv7CVjfPflkCP1wpSoPy2YuRvuSCBfJ1JboLRIuY8q2RkBxojh3ks4VPSSPJQqGaS7iMq3bK2RU8Qar88KdR2CrPXqXnySHkiUIbi-NQigfXrXlzPORLjQukPvHXRiQeBxcUXZDeKfXtS8PNn3BONCai1zPfc-ARK6Yjm9y7ZGNAT2WggiwM5mZoejq2bOEHt3r2f-VywEs5SRuNZYFr9f7BDm4u3x0s0Oaob2bGzvX0Q-MvXyICxvTupRcep9jlH1fmDPVEDpAcsaUjkYMa41PpHCmvM7XM-Dz4a5zaX-Pf-Byaolmd8wyU-EGoHtHtY=w1920-h666-no

YTiDgVEHakUF2UHtZeg7UxGscA33t4B4x0ytcZuZe0JofVEFtw7iQ5rs4CE6iOO_GFzw_wPLeggmaclXKtxO57Wdp5tPXke3YCVi9CuElISmq5ay7uUSC4kdKAoH8oYX5Enhhhl6wkb3XW7RTO9yc_1ZDGsNGQxizTY8sMDroHtr_DN90wuC92XwZHU7_U5fX1u8hL1rbTMpQLurY6sGxvTw9oDHJUWB_V5Tvnwi0cg4DQGsSWkiS4jYWtJK0I4YF1Krzvw3Tw8-B-xkBc-LYZK2Fun9KyVpTtLaAHf7rbLctgcZFdCFohQpis9pXWcehK88iPEgF9HO63uIOpgD9Ls2K94S4Tk3ZhDtdhvDbeTU5bIS4XwwG2VvttsolVS57_zAZ4UdFtQmW1S0-43dsA2-DuIWK4-4GyKuCi7QsY7s6rbYcsmLP9xPq8gII-gO_3god6J8PbrFPzGCpdeNkx-HbWwIPc4hnCO7zHj1gQbRoSeEpNnhLPXhKw9GnsepJNFspo4i87AS1jQilm0Z_TSb_kRWl6ZEheW-hnCFZlmVFU3B7TvHMpwM_RuCPRrqnJDgh_PunpiGH4mAzDSUduYA4HR0qRlJovdwcSbKiotSq_abKdFhbwOSZbHTvHci=s943-no

-3bBswk2liSTVFM3Kxgn0FnlOy43OVX6dvxzKi7FbyaVPcpMuU8hLtFSdSam4W3RyjPPE5bHpxSywm3ouoHMhX8MNQQzdHvxEdLY3AY7i04eSyFlRbP9meNCKvuoj9huNaaQUXtAPUebRw-SVHQcTui5qr4hgiLeLHkA8QKyeUy04zVTYCyQlCrpND7sYmTJaZ70eDgOtl01DXk1iuPAoWxjdt1HbFfAmTgG2MwTnqpkf9FfU61LHTQoeFZldp5uwmRtnNOG4CnKgn2VSDy5uTy-kgWwJV2jOk427EDuuHJjbkrR4ffTJESHzzdWmVCQtgGSDDhUzvvMhSdQy9hEquTYw3C6m9tiUUqIFFrm0xBwv-NpJDT3hO2LUQwSA5orq0IYdyIGJDcW_98_P2e4LAKDb2hJJdUk0beLzY0ERxTJCiaT86iTtp2IY9tLnPmyKtX0zdVpSW4bHeuZCZ1YdhLOws7iYorru6ySnACQxs44WsoRghhxXFKQz5EKD6coE7_N0iNP8QhjuW2Ksy6FYUNw9MB3JValZdGP43SBV1VlDcAB2WSfvJKDmw20dgwjnjHjt3PVFVFcjzXS33-E_CzjI9Y1okehmeZGU182CxGtzl7Oy-03HTZxRci9k4tG=s943-no

Tilt the motor up and paddle backwards onto the bank. Remove it from land outside of the boat.

I have a 3 hoists that I made for pulling deer up in the air and/or up hills. I believe a modified version of these could be used to help you out. You could rig something like these on the shore/dock/or truck. Is this something you could modify for hoisting a boat motor in your situation???

https://youtu.be/PD72WijswfI

&
https://youtu.be/V-ADgOictek

or
https://youtu.be/D8Z_7nbD-DE

You know ... let's maybe not over think this ... make some kind of ramp for the hull up that bank and put a nylon tow strap all the way around the hull/OB and back to the winch. Then just pull that entire rig up and out.

Attachments

• Ramp.jpeg
    Ramp.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 357
I had actually thought about doing something like that Dale. The ramp, winch and pulley system I built is certainly strong enough to pull the weight of the boat and the motor. I just wasn't sure if wrapping a strap around it would equalize the load/stress. That is why I was thinking pulling the motor off might be the easiest solution. However, I have a tow strap that should be long enough, maybe I'll give it a shot when I go up next weekend. Thanks!

Latest posts