New Boater with Old Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jellyghost

Reaction score
This is my first boat. I own it with my fishing partner. It's an old Cadillac.
The first voyage was very memorable. We put into the lake, and water started flooding the boat. There was a hole in the bottom for draining rain water, and the plug was gone! I spent 20 minutes with my thumb in the hole while we searched. The day was almost called off, but my buddy found a tub of plumbing putty. The putty plugged the hole pretty well. Any suggestions for making/buying a permanent plug?
After having some trouble starting the engine, we went out about a half mile and went fishing. The engine wouldn't start for the trip back, so we ended up rowing back to the boat dock! I don't think we mixed the fuel correctly.
Is this transom repair typical? I want to scrape it and paint it. Do you have any other ideas for improving it?
Thanks to everyone who helped with purchasing advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 650
  • IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 650
Walmart sells boat drain plugs unless you have a weird old screew in type. I never trust the fuel system on any used boat. Remove and clean the tank, replace the fuel line and bulb, put a diaphragm kit in the fuel pump and clean the carb properly with a rebuild kit. Get a mixing bottle and mix the fuel perfectly. If you have to guess then skip it and go to the mall instead. Leave your transom alone unless it's so rotten that it flexes. Look up and buy the exact spark plugs your motor called for from the factory and not what some counter guy wants to give you. That looks like a great rig!

If you do not use the proper fuel/oil mix you can ruin the motor, use the correct oil and mix ratio for the motor.

Latest posts