DEEP AND WIDE 14’ ALUMINUM UTILITY BOAT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hershey2014

Reaction score
I want to buy a 14’ aluminum utility boat for fishing a very small body of water my cottage is located on. I want the widest and deepest 14’ utility boat available for stability and in case I use it in larger bodies of water. I also realize the deepest boat may not be the widest. Without having to go to 20 different dealers, can anyone tell me the brands and models I should be looking at? I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Smokercraft makes a deep v utility. My friend has one and it’s a nice boat. Takes a 35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of the manufacturers have fairly extensive listings of their offerings on the web.

Also, A K McCullum, a sponsor and advertiser on this site, handles a half dozen different brands. A call to them may cut down on your search.

https://www.akmccallumco.com/

Not sure where you are located so not sure what brands might be easily available in your neck of the woods. A quick search shows Alumacraft makes a 14'-3" utility with a 68" beam. Gregor makes a 14'-5" with a 67" beam. Both under 250# hull weight. Lund has a 14'-2" with a 70" beam that weighs in at 285".

Not sure how these stack up to others that might be out there, but at least a starting point. You might want to look at chine width in addition to beam width.

Like Rich says spec's are readily available on the internet so you can narrow things down to what you might like.

Most manufacturers have a complete listing of specs on their website, and most will have wide-chine, flat V's with a 65-72" beam in a 14-16' that have a good amount of freeboard.

Choose a dealer in your area with a boat that has a floor plan you like; Princecraft, Alumacraft, Lund, G3, Lowe, Smokercraft, Mirrocraft, Starcraft...

ProduceMan said:
Smokercraft x2. Check out the Alaskan series.
Smokercraft X3!

Years ago the old big-V (I forget the exact model name) 14’ Sylvans were THE biggest, beamiest AND tallest gunneled 14-footer ever in the market. The Mass Div of Fisheries & bought a ton of them that they rent out at the Quabbin Reservoir and they are huge and stable!

Onthewater102 knows the model I believe, but since not made anymore, go Smokercraft or something you like! But if I could ever find a USED one, I’d buy it in a heartbeat!

EDIT: Model corrected to be a Sylvan hull!

Attachments

• C58133D6-208B-45E5-AB75-E66D4E361783.jpeg
    C58133D6-208B-45E5-AB75-E66D4E361783.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,878
  • 1901A59B-EE33-43C7-A87A-B65A3867DC92.jpeg
    1901A59B-EE33-43C7-A87A-B65A3867DC92.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,876
Are you looking for a deep V or just a deep flat bottom, you didn't make that distinction and seems everyone assumed that's what you meant. When you say utility I think flat bottom.

My Sylvan, is a 1472 model which has a 72" beam and 48" bottom, with a 20" transom, it is flat on the bottom and is a fairly deep boat (high sides) for it's size. Don't know if that model is available anymore, mine is a '92.

Weld Craft has a 1452

Xpress has a 1450.

Landau used to make a 1456, though it's been a minute or two since I've seen one. They still in business?

Lowe makes several versions of a 1448.

1448 is probably the most common-and sought after-size in this area, hence when you do find a used one, they're gone in no time.

Typically the 4 digit numbers indicate the length and width. A 1448 is 14' long and 48" side measured at the bottom/rear. A 1448 has a lot of room in it for just being a 14' boat! Used to own a Lowe and it was a good boat. Fished 2 of us grown folks just fine. We ran a 20hp Tohatsu on it, was rated for 25hp.

I do not know the height of the sides. Some are going to be 16", others 18", maybe some have more options. Get one with a "tall" transom (20 or 21") and if you're going to use an outboard, get one with the maximum rated horsepower for the boat, so if the boat's rated for 25hp, you'll want no less than 25hp outboard.

Beam width means nothing to me when dealing with aluminum boats. Some are set up such that the sides are nearly perpendicular to the bottom, thus the beam width is narrower than a boat that is set up "normally". Look at Havoc or Edge or Ambush boats online and you'll see what I'm talking about. They are good duck boats and that's about all they're good for. Maybe racing through the flooded timber of southeast Arkansas. I've fished from an Edge 1552 in the past and while I kinda like the boat as a whole, it felt "weird" with the sides being angled the way they are. Maybe I'd get used to it after a few trips. They don't offer many options for anglers as they are really geared toward duck hunting the flooded timber.

Princecraft makes some very stable, durable V-bottom boats I like mine more than many other brands I've owned in the past.

Mine is a Starfish 20, which is 16', but if you go to their site, they have many models.

Latest posts