Custom switch/breaker panels and BACKLIT switches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW ... I had the components, but just wanted new panels to set off the new wiring scheme on my new boat. This site here makes custom sized switch/breaker panels, all the way up to truly custom ones with your boat brand or hull name laser etched into the panel and the switches can be backlit!

I had them make up a custom panel to hold my Bennett ATP auto-trim tab switch and 2 accessory plugs, a 12V power socket and a dual-port USB charger. Custom made to my size and finish it was only $37. https://newwiremarine.com/product/e-panel-builder/

They are also can excellent source for laser etched BACKLIT (in white, blue or red) Carling Contura switches, where each switch (less those only momentary) have 2 indicator lamps per switch. One provides the backlight whenever the Nav lights or helm lights are on, whilst the other illuminates whenever that circuit is energized.

Attachments

• Etched.JPG
    Etched.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,033
Here's an example of the custom panel I had made up ... lit up where the Helm Lights switch illuminates all of the other switches. So the bilge pump switch illuminates, but the circuit isn't energized as shown. The bottom 'oval' indicator on each switch only lights (see the Helm switch) when that specific circuit is energized.

FYI, that mini-voltmeter fits into a standard 1-1/8" USB-type hole, cost $7 shipped, and draws milliamps.

Attachments

• Switch - Backlit Switch Panel.jpg
    Switch - Backlit Switch Panel.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 936
Interesting. I must have been doing something wrong, as I made up a switch panel with 4 switches; one cigarette lighter, and the voltmeter. The cost was up to $229.00. Yikes.

I couldn't find the voltmeter that you mentioned on their website as a separate item for $7.00 or at any price. Would you please post a LINK to that specific item. Thanks.

I'd love to have a way to monitor the voltage on my two battery sets without having to open the bilge area hatch. It appears that I'd have to add switches so the VOM wasn't running constantly????

I ordered a voltmeter and switch from Amazon a few weeks back. I immediately returned it when I read that the LED for the VOM wasn't supposed to be exposed to sunlight often!!

richg99 said:
Interesting. I must have been doing something wrong, as I made up a switch panel with 4 switches; one cigarette lighter, and the voltmeter. The cost was up to $229.00. Yikes.
You probably had your's wired? I am doing mine myself ...

richg99 said:
I couldn't find the voltmeter that you mentioned on their website as a separate item for $7.00 or at any price. Would you please post a LINK to that specific item. Thanks.

Sorry to confuse you ... that was an eBay purchase and wasn't $7 ... it was only $6.50 shipped :eek: !

See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Voltmeter-LED-Digital-Display-Voltage-Waterproof-for-Boat-Car/391932793265?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

... but try other searches for "12v voltmeter led blue" or whatever color you want, as some as $3.50 shipped.

FWIW my old toona boat's name was USCG documented as "Miss Teak" (lots of teak brightwork, prettiest boat in the fleet!) ... but in reality she should have been named as "Miss eBay", as she was outfitted with parts (outriggahs, toona tower, swivel rod holders, not 1, bot 2, but 3 complete steering stations, etc.) by all eBay purchases.

"FWIW my old toona boat's name was USCG documented as "Miss Teak" (lots of teak brightwork, prettiest boat in the fleet!) .."

Well, that is a heck of a lot better than "Miss Leak".

I built a switch box here that has a voltmeter that shows the voltage of 2 batteries without being on unless switched on.

Attachments

• 20180506_144119.jpg
    20180506_144119.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 915
I ordered two of the VOMs that Dale H recommended. When they arrive, I'll install them.

I think that I will hook up the Main battery VOM to my bilge pump switch. That way, I'll quickly see the voltage and turn it back off again. The noise of the pump will remind me to do that.

For the other set of trolling motor batteries (12 volts), I'll add a separate switch to monitor their voltage after use.

thanks rich

richg99 said:
I really don't know the actual facts/results.

Kinda sorta related. I don't leave my fish finder on the boat. I want to put a switch on my Fish finder circuit. I know it has a built in switch, but I just want to eliminate power to the unit when I plug it in or unplug it. Am I being irrational?

DaleH said:
Here's an example of the custom panel I had made up ... lit up where the Helm Lights switch illuminates all of the other switches. So the bilge pump switch illuminates, but the circuit isn't energized as shown. The bottom 'oval' indicator on each switch only lights (see the Helm switch) when that specific circuit is energized.

FYI, that mini-voltmeter fits into a standard 1-1/8" USB-type hole, cost $7 shipped, and draws milliamps.

I explored that site pretty heavily after you made the original post. Being able to flip on my anchor light and having the switches illuminate was one feature I really liked. Although, like Rich, my custom built 6 gang switch with push button breakers, 12V outlet, USB outlet and VOM was between $200 and $300 (not including etched switches) on there. Seeing as how I plan to mount my switch panel in the cover of an electrical junction box, I may price the cost of their etched switches and then do my own cutouts in the junction box cover....also would buy the VOM, 12V and USB outlets and some Blue Seas breakers elsewhere for cheaper.

Latest posts