Storage solutions for a 14' boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I just acquired a 1974 14' Smokercraft with trailer and 9.9 Mercury 2 stroke from my father. Over the past couple years (he's now retired), he has been spending a decent amount of time doing trips up to Canada and in bigger water, so he has upgraded his boats accordingly and did not have room to store this one!

The boat has a factory aluminum floor with 4 bench seats (wooden tops) and ZERO built-in storage. Everything is very functional but I do have a couple projects in mind, the first would be to have some covered storage on board. Space between the seats (front to back) isn't much but I was thinking of some boxes that fit in between the seats and go against the sides of the boat; kind of like a rod locker-type compartment (but certainly would not be long enough to store rods).

My goal is to be able to store small, loose items that you don't want rattling around the boat and provide a mounting surface for things where I don't want to put holes in the boat. I'm curious to see what solutions others have come up with!

Thanks!

zuren said:
I just acquired a 1974 14' Smokercraft with trailer and 9.9 Mercury 2 stroke from my father. Over the past couple years (he's now retired), he has been spending a decent amount of time doing trips up to Canada and in bigger water, so he has upgraded his boats accordingly and did not have room to store this one!

The boat has a factory aluminum floor with 4 bench seats (wooden tops) and ZERO built-in storage. Everything is very functional but I do have a couple projects in mind, the first would be to have some covered storage on board. Space between the seats (front to back) isn't much but I was thinking of some boxes that fit in between the seats and go against the sides of the boat; kind of like a rod locker-type compartment (but certainly would not be long enough to store rods).

My goal is to be able to store small, loose items that you don't want rattling around the boat and provide a mounting surface for things where I don't want to put holes in the boat. I'm curious to see what solutions others have come up with!

Thanks!

I bet you'll find lots of good ideas in the mod link below.
There's nothing like a 5 gallon bucket for those little odds and ends :LOL2:
Enjoy

jasper

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

I had some luck, years ago, using 3M5200 to stick a 1/4 board on the side of a fiberglass Carolina Skiff. I can't believe that 3m5200 wouldn't stick just as well to the sides of a tinny.

Once you get the board(s) stuck, you can screw all sort of fittings on to it.

p.s. My present tinny has a piece of Corion type material stuck to the transom that holds my FF transducer on. It's been there for at least two years, getting beat up every time I run the boat, which is often.

For storage the bucket is a great idea. Also, think about picking up some cheap backpacks. Fill them with your stuff and toss them into the boat. If they get in the way, toss them somewhere else.

I have four cheap backpacks that I bought at Walgreen's on sale for $3 each. They are permanently in my boat. One has towels, first aid kit, wipes, and similar stuff. The second has spare parts for the DR, various fish scent goops, plastic bags, knives, Etc. The third holds three lure boxes. The fourth holds something that must not be very important because I honestly cannot remember and am too lazy to go out and look (haha).

Anyway, might be a workable alternative to making major modifications to the boat.

My ride is a 70's 14 foot Mirrocraft (F3614).

I added shelves between the benches, and cargo netting
underneath to corral all my miscellaneous stuff.

I also decked between the rear bench & transom.
Battery lives under the center, additional flotation planned
for each side.

Eventually I'll finish the rear floor & add netting there as well.
Spent too much time actually fishing this year. :D

Edit:
I like the backpack idea Ldubs!

2018-10-28 15.43.07.jpg

2018-10-28 15.43.17.jpg

2018-10-28 18.24.33.jpg

kdgrills said:
My ride is a 70's 14 foot Mirrocraft (F3614).

I added shelves between the benches, and cargo netting
underneath to corral all my miscellaneous stuff.

I also decked between the rear bench & transom.
Battery lives under the center, additional flotation planned
for each side.

Eventually I'll finish the rear floor & add netting there as well.
Spent too much time actually fishing this year. :D

Edit:
I like the backpack idea Ldubs!

Very nice layout. Thanks for the comment on the backpacks, but I think using the cargo netting instead of enclosing those areas is even better.

Your boat looks too clean. Need to get some fish slime patina on it. :LOL2:

Might give you some ideas
Cooler, netting, closed cell foam kitchen mat, ratchet straps purchased at Wmart
Closed cell foam flooring, PVC board, Lexel purchased at Lowes
Rod holders purchased at Academy sports

CttSMVj.jpg

zGNiMaq.jpg

MAQCZfz.jpg

Latest posts