V hull front bow deck picture request

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
I'm considering decking the very front of my 10' v hull aluminum boat and am looking for pictures or builds. I have seen several that span the first two seats and many that go beyond that but I am only looking to do from the front of the boat to just the front seat. Any pictures or builds would be much appreciated.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
10’ is pretty small. Deck would make it tippy like crazy imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I neglected to mention in my first post that it would not be stood on to cast but used as a step for people and dogs to get into the boat more easily, and provide a bit of covered storage.

I recommend laying a piece of board across the seats and trying it before building anything. I have an 11ft v hull and when I get in, I step right in the middle. It won’t flip if I step off center but it really leans! Maybe it works for some folks but I don’t recommend decks/storage on anything smaller than a 14. 10-12 ft boats are light car topper/ back of truck boats meant for just that. Any additional weight or change in center of gravity usually has a negative effect in my experience.

I recommend laying a piece of board across the seats and trying it before building anything. I have an 11ft v hull and when I get in, I step right in the middle. It won’t flip if I step off center but it really leans! Maybe it works for some folks but I don’t recommend decks/storage on anything smaller than a 14. 10-12 ft boats are light car topper/ back of truck boats meant for just that. Any additional weight or change in center of gravity usually has a negative effect in my experience.

That's a good idea. I had not considered the higher center of gravity, even if I was only thinking about using the small deck while at shore.

7ceb2712a450a86771e7c988d173c429.jpg

I beach my little boat a lot. It’s crazy tippy when sitting on the center keel. I couldn’t imagine trying to step on to a platform.
These little boats are great for their intended purpose

7ceb2712a450a86771e7c988d173c429.jpg

I beach my little boat a lot. It’s crazy tippy when sitting on the center keel. I couldn’t imagine trying to step on to a platform.
These little boats are great for their intended purpose

The more I think about it the more I realize you're right. it's really not that stable, even on shore. That's a nice boat you have. Looks to be in great shape. I like the wood seats too.

Thanks. I gave it a paint job and new seats last winter. Used it for a couple small lakes and as a second boat on a fishing trip with my sons.
I am a fan however, if drop in floors. I have made a few over the years. This boat currently doesn’t have any. I just rip a couple stringers so the floor board doesn’t sag in the middle and screw to them down through the floor board. Makes it nice to step into and is nice for standing up. Not that I stand much in a small boat unless I’m alone.

Thanks. I gave it a paint job and new seats last winter. Used it for a couple small lakes and as a second boat on a fishing trip with my sons.
I am a fan however, if drop in floors. I have made a few over the years. This boat currently doesn’t have any. I just rip a couple stringers so the floor board doesn’t sag in the middle and screw to them down through the floor board. Makes it nice to step into and is nice for standing up. Not that I stand much in a small boat unless I’m alone.

That would be nice to have a flat floor. Some of the builds I've seen are very inspiring that way. I had three people including myself in mine and was surprised at how stable it was. They are good little boats to fish out of.

bikerider said:

I neglected to mention in my first post that it would not be stood on to cast but used as a step for people and dogs to get into the boat more easily, and provide a bit of covered storage.
It can be done, and I would Do the same for storage purposes.
What you need is a way to fasten the deck right at the bow, probably near the hardware for the u bolt for the winch pull ( if it has one).
To avoid drilling holes in the hull I would get some good epoxy and glue some aluminum angle iron about 8-10" down each side from the bow, the build off that to the bench with 1/2" plywood.

When you do your hatch door, make sure it's very strong supported underneath.. I made the mistake of only doing minimal support and then someone fell through after it was stepped on a few times.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

GYPSY400 said:
bikerider said:

What you need is a way to fasten the deck right at the bow, probably near the hardware for the u bolt for the winch pull ( if it has one).
To avoid drilling holes in the hull I would get some good epoxy and glue some aluminum angle iron about 8-10" down each side from the bow, the build off that to the bench with 1/2" plywood.

When you do your hatch door, make sure it's very strong supported underneath.. I made the mistake of only doing minimal support and then someone fell through after it was stepped on a few times.

You know, that was my initial thought actually. I had pictured the deck resting on top of the front bench seat and somehow mounted to the threads from the front eyelet. That's good thinking on the bracing. Most of the builds I've found have a solid 2x4 brace setup. That would be a shame to do all that work and step right through it. Did you end up using 2x4 bracing on yours?

bikerider said:
GYPSY400 said:
bikerider said:

You know, that was my initial thought actually. I had pictured the deck resting on top of the front bench seat and somehow mounted to the threads from the front eyelet. That's good thinking on the bracing. Most of the builds I've found have a solid 2x4 brace setup. That would be a shame to do all that work and step right through it. Did you end up using 2x4 bracing on yours?
I used aluminum angle iron under the hatch to keep the door level with the deck, but I only did the side opposite the hinge. I later reworked it and did all sides surrounding the hole.. the metal didn't fail, the screws pulled out from underneath.

Latest posts