Anyone have a Monark 1660 Jon Boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey_714

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post on this forum. I recently bought a 16 foot aluminum Monark boat. 60" wide at the bottom and 80" wide at the rails. I believe this is a modified V but unsure?? It has a 40hp mercury that needs a new switch box (already ordered a new one).

Anyway, information on these seems very hard to come by, so I am looking for any and all information on this boat! Pictures would be fantastic as well, as I am looking for ideas. This will be mainly used for duck hunting, but might also be used for fishing as well.

Pics coming soon.

2uft405.jpg

2hzn61l.jpg

2jd2bkz.jpg

wjvzhf.jpg

I have since gotten the water out of the boat :oops:

Nice find, has a lot of potential.

You need to get a bigger trailer, the transom hull isn't supported.

Thank you. I picked up the boat/trailer/motor with brand new battery and electric motor for $1,300. I think that's pretty good, especially since boats seem to go for more $$ where I live.

Also, the pictures create a bit of an optical illusion because the trailer does go to the back of it.

Good potential for a duck boat but it's not going to go as shallow as a true flat bottom. If it were mine I'd change the steering out to a side console or tiller setup in and put a floor in the bottom. Will make a good two/three man rig. A deck across the front will help keep it rigid. What year is it?

Thanks for your input. I did figure it probably won't go quite as shallow, but hoping it might handle bigger water a little better than a normal flat bottom (i could be wrong, honestly not a boat guru).

I'll get back to you on year soon, I'm thinking 72 but will have to double check. When you say you'd put a deck up front, are you implying that you would cut out the covered bow and build a deck in its place?

Nice boat!

I'd definitely modify the trailer before doing anything to the boat itself. Tin boats are generally happier with bunk boards instead of rollers, especially at the transom. The larger area of the bunk boards will prevent hammering dents into the hull in front of the transom, which will change the handling of the boat, especially at speed. Like permanent trim tabs.

Ideally, the bunk boards would extend past the transom, to support the transom board itself. A couple long 2x6 will do the job, with or without carpet. Some guys will just wax the wood, others put plastic on top. As long as the bolts are countersunk it will be fine.

Don't use treated lumber, the copper in the wood will destroy the aluminum in short order, especially if there's salt anywhere nearby. Including driving over salted winter roads. Better to paint the regular wood 2x6 (or 2x8 or whatever) or simply replace them in a few years.

I do prefer the mod-v hull over a flat bottom for less pounding in choppy waters. The difference in floatation between a flat bottom and your hull isn't that much, perhaps a couple inches at most. Which means the skeg is really the limiting factor. If you're poling around with the motor tipped up, yeah, then flat bottoms will float a bit higher.

See you on the water,

Brian

Thanks for posting, Brian. Definitely sounds like I need to upgrade the trailer. While not terrible, I can see small spots from the rollers already. I liked the idea of the rollers because they lower the water in the areas I hunt, and launching is always a pain (driving down in the mud). I think the rollers would cause more harm than good though, since I can see myself winching the boat and gear up, possibly damaging the boat even more.

casey_714 said:
I liked the idea of the rollers because they lower the water in the areas I hunt, and launching is always a pain (driving down in the mud)

I've seen some bunk style trailers set up with center rollers under the keel to help with launch and retrieve. You can also try to line up the roller with the reinforced 'frame' parts of the hull. Have fun with the project!

See you on the water,

Brian

Ok I have another question. Still can't get the motor to run and I have a running 50hp Evinrude I can buy for $300.

There is no plate on this boat with Max HP/etc. Is 50hp too much? I believe this is considered a "1680" jon with a modified V. Any help?

50 hp will be just fine. With a little thought to weight distribution. I agree on ditching the current steering setup. Do you have controls for the evinrude?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks TheDude! Yes I do have controls for the new Evinrude as well, although they are a few feet shorter than the current ones on the Merc. I am pretty set on cutting off the "covered bow" and building a deck that extends a few feet further back than the current console.

From there I'm thinking about taking the current console and the aluminum I'm cutting off and re-purposing it into a small side console at the aft-end of the new deck..although I'm not sure if that's still too far forward

casey_714 said:
Thanks TheDude! Yes I do have controls for the new Evinrude as well, although they are a few feet shorter than the current ones on the Merc. I am pretty set on cutting off the "covered bow" and building a deck that extends a few feet further back than the current console.

From there I'm thinking about taking the current console and the aluminum I'm cutting off and re-purposing it into a small side console at the aft-end of the new deck..although I'm not sure if that's still too far forward
With a boat that wide have you considered a center console? No reason you couldn't build it yourself - wood works fine since it sounds like you will be more than adequately powered. You gotta avoid the paralysis by analysis that some of these blank canvases tend to create!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts