Seats or no seats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whorrall

Reaction score
What do you guys think about seats in a jon boat? My rig is all just bare metal. It sure makes it easy to clean, light, not susceptible to wear, and I didn't have to drill a bunch of holes. Still, sometimes I think the comfort of seats would be nice. I've considered adding a couple of throwable Type IV pfds to the two box seats in the middle of the boat for cushions. I've also considered adding "track style" sliding seats to the aft gunnel. Or maybe a big wide bench? Opinions? I'm ready to hear what others think.

Attachments

• 20181116_132320.jpg
    20181116_132320.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,800
FWIW I'm using a snap on cushion for the bench so I can move it out of the way when I need more deck space.

Have you been sitting on the bench? I recommend some kind of back support if your back is as old as mine. That's a big honkin motor. Curious how long the boat is and max hp rating.

Yeah, I've been sitting on that bench for 4 years now. I usually stand to operate the boat. Think it's time for some seats? My back is 39 years old. Not that old, but it ain't 18 anymore either.

Boat is 18' long. Rated for a 130. Transom is solid, boat has no problem with the weight/power of the 200.

Wow I bet that boat runs like a scalded cat. :shock:

I always want to stand, unless I'm anchored up bottom fishing for something big where I'm not casting much, and mostly waiting for a fish.

You could add a couple seat bases to the front edge of the rear platform. Then you could install a pole and seat for standing support or take the pole out and just use the seat alone for sitting down. You could also use the seat and pole on the front deck or rear deck for fishing when not operating the boat. A narrow bench might be nice, but will take up some room on the rear deck.

Deck chairs for fishing maybe. Or lawn chairs ;)

I'd want a leaning post though. 200hp! Wicked fast I'm sure. Is it flat, or vee? Who makes that hull?

You guys are making me think seriously about adding a couple of seats in the rear. I'm leaning toward installing a track type mount to the forward edge of my aft bench and installing a seat or two to it.

https://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/Casting_Seats-Swivl-Eze_SP15100_Bench_Style_Seat_Mount_Kit_.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl6-N9Y7e3gIVkLjACh1cWwOcEAQYCSABEgJk2fD_BwE

Boat is a Sea Ark 1872 Pro (mod-vee). It will run low to mid 50s WOT. It isn't fast like a bass boat, but it is fast enough for the rivers here.

Here's the finished product.

Attachments

• 20181122_211920.jpg
    20181122_211920.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,565
  • 20181122_211911.jpg
    20181122_211911.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,565
eagle24 said:
Nice! I bet you will like the seats. What do you use your boat for?

Thanks! Mainly just river cruising, family time, and sandbar camping.

Latest posts