First boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom559

Reaction score
Hey long-time lurker here about to make a boat purchase this weekend and need some advice will post my intro soon as I have time.

Well guys like the title says I'm looking to buy my first boat. I don't really know much about boats I've only ever used my uncles with him and we were younger. So far I've narrowed it down to two boats that I found I want to keep them small but also stable enough for me and my five-year-old daughter to fish from occasionally me and my father-in-law we are both small people under 150 lb. 

This boat is a 14-footer he hasn't got back to me with the width yet my biggest concern is how stable will this boat me and also it's a 1969 do you guys think that's too old? Would I be able to make a casting platform or stand up and cast?

d30eec601a8de11808ae609704074091.jpg

This is the second boat in 12 foot flat bottom Jon Boat which is what I was originally looking for as I finish some places you can't really get a trailer too but I can get my four wheel drive truck one problem with this one is that has no title is that going to be an issue in California? From what I'm reading it doesn't seem to be an issue here. How stable would this be in comparison to the 14-footer even though the 14-footer isn't in a flat bottom. I'll be fishing small lakes to some large lakes.

d5a726ba3f7484d8d842cac2a314152e.jpg

I'd definitely go for the Semi-V, as long as it's wide enough, unless you're fishing rivers all the time. The V will not slap waves like a flat bottom will, and is not much less stable.

IMO, you should not deck a boat that is not at least 40" wide.

In Iowa, a non-motorized boat less than 14 foot does not need to be registered.

Check your state laws.

I would recommend a wide boat for stability. Have you considered an inflatable?

CedarRiverScooter said:
In Iowa, a non-motorized boat less than 14 foot does not need to be registered.

Check your state laws.

I would recommend a wide boat for stability. Have you considered an inflatable?

also in cali any boat basiclu any size u put a electric or gas motor on has to be registered

https://visalia.craigslist.org/boa/d/fishing-boat-for-sale/6751481432.html

Found this too

I was also a little leery about the one in Visalia.

In California a certificate of ownership is needed to transfer title. If it is lost you will need to get a replacement Title by submitting the appropriate DMV form with the seller's signature. Make sure you ask if the boat is registered under the seller's name. If not, you may want to move on. Also, make sure the registration is current. Unlike cars, there is no "inoperable" status for boats and registration must be paid whether the boat is used or not. If the registration is not current, then it may be that someone is going to have to pay to bring it up to date. You will want to ask he DMV about this.

While I understand how a title certificate could be lost for an older boat, the owner should be stepping up to obtain the replacement title. Just my personal opinion, but I would walk away from any seller who says all they will give is a bill of sale. There are plenty of boats out there with legit paperwork.

PS: I think you already know boats propelled solely by oars are not required to be registered.

Edits: I hate autocorrect

That one up there for 500 in Visalia actually wasn't a scam I went and looked at it and he had all the right paperwork Etc but the boat was much more of a project then he stated. Good deal or not I want something I can get water ready in the next couple weeks.
I ended up going and looking at that green one the 14 foot Semi V and actually bought it it's old it needs a little love but I think it's going to be perfect he had the pink slip in his name registration was out of date by 4 years I'll see how that goes at the DMV I got the boat trailer and trolling motor all for $200 the only main issue was it did need one tire on the trailer but I actually had one and it was the same size. Pictures to come in the morning

That 14' jon that is 43" wide, must be measured at the gunwales, that looks like a narrow boat to me or the length is off, I have a 1448 and it is way wider than that.

Well guys im the proud owner of a 1969 Delhi 1440 semi v jon boat and couldn't be happier, i believe it'll do what i want. Stoked to start working on this thing. I basicly know nothing about boats but am a master certified mechanic so maybe thatll help? lol.
Can anyone tell me if delhi is a lower end or higher end quality boat?

Here she is

e9c43f703521311641c6932c82e3a16d.jpg

b376111759bd149265b8bbc01fbcd1ab.jpg

157128afc9c277e4bbbdeaee10c7aef8.jpg

Got boat trailer and a older min kota 65 TM all for $200. Needed 1 trailer tire but i had one already.

Ok guys need some help here.. Like i said before i dont know jack about boats how ever i dont think this is right...There appears to be a inch circle hole in the rear...

40af0ddcd1a5aa49db6718a344f3a349.jpg

This is in the rear of the boat at the bottom

You bought the right boat to start with. Any boat is way ahead of no boat.
Hole could be a drain hole. See if you can find a drain plug to fill it.
I can stand up and cast in a canoe but it takes some practice.
Your semi-v fishing boat should be easy to stand up and cast in .
Just don't let anyone drink too much in your boat.
Lots of people that drown falling out of boats are found with an open fly.

What type of use will it get? Reminds me of my first boat, a 14 ft vee with a 15hp. Took that thing everywhere from city lakes to Buggs Island, Smith Mtn Lake, Dan River, etc. Slept in it several times. Two adults and one child were all it cared to handle. I didn't do much to it except add a fish finder, radio and trolling motor.

water bouy said:
What type of use will it get? Reminds me of my first boat, a 14 ft vee with a 15hp. Took that thing everywhere from city lakes to Buggs Island, Smith Mtn Lake, Dan River, etc. Slept in it several times. Two adults and one child were all it cared to handle. I didn't do much to it except add a fish finder, radio and trolling motor.

I plan on using it on some larger ponds,small lakes and maybe a small river thats near and very calm. The largest body of water it will see is roughly 2200 acres when full but that lake hasnt been over 80% in years right now its at only 7% lol. I havent decided yet on cleaning it up and going as is or restoring it. I really want to restore it just no idea where to start

been looking through build threads anyone know of any detailed builds of a 14 footer

Congrats on the new boat!

". . . . lower end or higher end quality boat" => Fish don't know the difference!

That hole sure looks like where a drain plug should be but seems kind of rough around the edges. 1 inch expandable drain plugs are readily available.

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 9.16.46 PM.png

Latest posts