steelflex gulvit and 3m 5200 and painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom559

Reaction score
Hey guys getting ready to paint my new jon bot. ill be sanding it down and going through all the rivits to make sure there tight. After reading so much about about the 3m 5200 product i wanted to cover the rivits with it before coating/ painting. I wasn't able to find any of the 3m 5200 locally how ever i found this stuff called lexel https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/ i was wondering if it would work the same? Im trying to acquire everything locally but hard to find the recommend products.

My end goal is to make it as leak proof as possible. My plan was to steelflex it than paint the steelflex and clear coat it, how ever i cant find anything locally... What would be my best route? Any recommend alternative products to steelflex/gulvit that i can use? Lowes has flex seal but havent read best things here about it. Any input is appreciated. :)

Also whats the recommend paint for the interior?

5200 would be my last choice on already installed rivets. Gluvit or West Systems G-Flex (better choice, is flexible) would be a better choice.

I'd sand, prep, vinegar wash any exposed tin, then would prime it. Then coat the rivets if you feel you must. Personally I think prophylactic application of any epoxy product to coat the 'entire' hull is an absolute wa$tw of money. Those with jet boats going over rough surfaces .... I get it.

Any epoxy product must be over-coated with paint, as they are not designed to withstand UV exposure. Look up Johnny's posts on painting.

Dom - I may have missed your story, but is this a old boat new to you? Does it currently leak, or do you just want to make it stronger?

If you have leaking rivets, the best way to fix them is to rebuck or replace them. The watertightness comes from the compression of the rivet. Properly done, rivet repair will last a long time.

I have some of that Level caulk, It's like thick rubbery contact cement. I don't think the adhesion would last very long.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Dom - I may have missed your story, but is this a old boat new to you? Does it currently leak, or do you just want to make it stronger?

If you have leaking rivets, the best way to fix them is to rebuck or replace them. The watertightness comes from the compression of the rivet. Properly done, rivet repair will last a long time.

I have some of that Level caulk, It's like thick rubbery contact cement. I don't think the adhesion would last very long.

Its a used boat i just got and my first boat. Im a master certified mechanic and have built countless off road rigs how ever this is my first boat. I fully intend and going through and rebucking and replacing any that will need replaced rivit wise however i wanna paint it and make it look nice but also make sure i seal it up as water proof as possible to avoid any future leaks. if sanding it , primer, epoxy than paint is sufficient enough than thats the route ill go.
Are there any alternative products to gluvit that i can find more locally at a lowes or home depot?

Actually the easiest, fastest, and by far the simplest way to fix a leaky rivet is to wick a bit of CA glue into the rivet! The only thing you have to be sure of is that the rivet/hole is dry!
I use medium CA but the thin stuff will work as well.

I agree coating a whole boat is almost never needed or “better”. I’m a believer in gflex. Just heat up a suspicious rivet or seam with a propane torch and syringe the “honey” into the crack. Warm metal draws it right in and it seals up almost anything. Lasted for years so far. My guess is it will last a lifetime.

Latest posts