Coating other than carpet for deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerider

Reaction score
All of the jon boats and semi v's I see decked are finished with indoor outdoor carpet. The end result looks great, but I was wondering what other coatings have been used on them?

SeaDek, I have it in my boat and really enjoy the difference it has made in both comfort and appearance.

Have a look at this, very durable if applied right. Use their primer and rollers. Had it on my old glass boat and held up at least 5yrs mostly salt exposure. Comfy even on bare feet. https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=tuff+coat&CQ_zstype=REG

I like the vinyl on my previous boat and again on my current boat. Very clean looking. I think the big advantage over carpet is it is easy to keep clean. It isn't smooth like the vinyl you might put on your kitchen floor. It has some texture.

I saw the Seadek product at a boat show earlier this year. It is very impressive looking.

My next floor will be baby blue paint or maybey a light grey. Like pool paint because its cool on your feet and an easy color on the eyes when in direct sun.

I presently have carpet on one tinny, and vinyl on the other.

I much prefer the vinyl. I got it from Defender Industries and simply screwed the sheet down onto two 1/4 inch pieces of exterior plywood, over the aluminum.

I used two pieces since I wanted to be able to get underneath without having to remove my side-console. It was also easier to do the fitting and to secure it that way.
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276198|2276202&id=2854700

On the carpeted boat, I will be covering the deck carpet with a roll-out foam anti-fatigue sheet from Harbor Freight. It is cheap enough, at $10.00 for a 6-foot long piece. I have no idea how well it will hold up but will find out soon. I hate the carpet since hooks and everything else gets hung up in it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-roll-mat-61241.html

The only positive attributes of carpet are that it's, inexpensive, easy to get, and pretty forgiving to install. Otherwise, it's hard to clean, traps moisture, stains easily, and collects crap like nothing else.

bikerider said:
All of the jon boats and semi v's I see decked are finished with indoor outdoor carpet. The end result looks great, but I was wondering what other coatings have been used on them?
The latest and greatest seems to be spray on bedliner material. My Lund came with a linoleum style rubbery covering on the floor but carpeting on the front casting deck and the tops of the side and rear storage areas. I've got 2wear spots on the floor and when it gets worse will remove the linoleum and add bedliner. Both Clean up blood, slime, beer, soda, guys and squished minnows etc.
VERY EASILY usually with just a hose. Carpet not so much!

'98 Lund Explorer w/ 50hp Merc 4c (Yamaha) carburetored NO torque motor

lukethedog said:
SeaDek, I have it in my boat and really enjoy the difference it has made in both comfort and appearance.

How has it held up for you?

ProduceMan said:
Have a look at this, very durable if applied right. Use their primer and rollers. Had it on my old glass boat and held up at least 5yrs mostly salt exposure. Comfy even on bare feet. https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=tuff+coat&CQ_zstype=REG

Sounds quite durable. Also sounds like it would be good for dogs getting in and out of the boat too.

LDUBS said:
I like the vinyl on my previous boat and again on my current boat. Very clean looking. I think the big advantage over carpet is it is easy to keep clean. It isn't smooth like the vinyl you might put on your kitchen floor. It has some texture.

I saw the Seadek product at a boat show earlier this year. It is very impressive looking.

Do you have a picture of the vinyl you used on your boat?

Stumpalump said:
My next floor will be baby blue paint or maybey a light grey. Like pool paint because its cool on your feet and an easy color on the eyes when in direct sun.

That's a good idea. I would have never thought of using pool paint. It seems that these coatings are sold at a minimum of 1 gallon. The deck I'm considering is only a small bow deck. It would be nice if I could find just a quart.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Maybe anti fatigue mat that can be pulled out to de-slime with hose?

I would think you would need to treat the deck with something before installing the mat. And you would probably want to find a way to temporarily secure the mat so you could take it out easily.

richg99 said:
I presently have carpet on one tinny, and vinyl on the other.

I much prefer the vinyl. I got it from Defender Industries and simply screwed the sheet down onto two 1/4 inch pieces of exterior plywood, over the aluminum.

I used two pieces since I wanted to be able to get underneath without having to remove my side-console. It was also easier to do the fitting and to secure it that way.
https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276179|2276198|2276202&id=2854700

On the carpeted boat, I will be covering the deck carpet with a roll-out foam anti-fatigue sheet from Harbor Freight. It is cheap enough, at $10.00 for a 6-foot long piece. I have no idea how well it will hold up but will find out soon. I hate the carpet since hooks and everything else gets hung up in it.
https://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-roll-mat-61241.html

How is the vinyl when it gets wet?

WALI4VR said:
bikerider said:
The latest and greatest seems to be spray on bedliner material. My Lund came with a linoleum style rubbery covering on the floor but carpeting on the front casting deck and the tops of the side and rear storage areas. I've got 2wear spots on the floor and when it gets worse will remove the linoleum and add bedliner. Both Clean up blood, slime, beer, soda, guys and squished minnows etc.
VERY EASILY usually with just a hose. Carpet not so much!

'98 Lund Explorer w/ 50hp Merc 4c (Yamaha) carburetored NO torque motor

I like the idea of bedliner on a boat deck. And it's nice that you can buy however many spray cans you need for your application. I have yet to find one with a stellar review so the search continues. You make a good point about cleanup. Most of the boat ramps I go to have large fir trees and the needles get everywhere so easy cleanup is important.

Latest posts