Grumman Sportboat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpalump

Reaction score
15'4" 43" wide. Weighs only 110 pounds. These are on the Top 10 list of best boats ever. Made for shallows and creeks. Built like an extra wide freighter canoe so my 4hp should push it into the boondocks. This one was 1978 original owners. Bought and used to run the Yellowstone river on one trip then hardly ever used again. It was put on a big trailer years later that needs mods. Since it has no drain pug I need to mod the trailer to store and or transport it upside down but also use it right side up with motor and gear to launch it. Weird little thing but I always wanted one. Do you have any sugestions on the trailer and what do you think of the Grumman?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,665
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,665
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 2,665
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,665
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,665
Could of bought one for roughly $800 including trailer. I passed only because I had 2 boats. Sometimes I regret it. They are fantastic little boats for ponds, calm lakes and creeks/rivers.

A very practical design that works for almost everything. Easy to launch from the beach. A little too big to portage. Natives use freighter canoes all the time. They lash them together and build a platform to go up and down the Yukon.

I have a canoe trailer to haul my wood and canvas OT from 1951. I carry and store my canoes upside down. A 4 hp motor is not that heavy. You could modify your trailer. Otherwise, you could add a drain in the transom. Not that hard. Then you could tilt the trailer up in the air like the drift boat guys. Or put a cover on it and use a device to support the middle of the cover so water will drain.

I have fooled around with lashing canoes together with poles to build a big catamaran. With your boat you could lash one or even two canoes and build a deck with plywood. You could add a mast. Just the thing for cruising down Lake Roosevelt in Washingtonn for 185 miles. Think big. You have the boat for it.

ppine said:
A very practical design that works for almost everything. Easy to launch from the beach. A little too big to portage. Natives use freighter canoes all the time. They lash them together and build a platform to go up and down the Yukon.

I have a canoe trailer to haul my wood and canvas OT from 1951. I carry and store my canoes upside down. A 4 hp motor is not that heavy. You could modify your trailer. Otherwise, you could add a drain in the transom. Not that hard. Then you could tilt the trailer up in the air like the drift boat guys. Or put a cover on it and use a device to support the middle of the cover so water will drain.

I have fooled around with lashing canoes together with poles to build a big catamaran. With your boat you could lash one or even two canoes and build a deck with plywood. You could add a mast. Just the thing for cruising down Lake Roosevelt in Washingtonn for 185 miles. Think big. You have the boat for it.

They offered a sail kit for them at one time. I found a mast, boom and sail from a Hobie sailboard that would probably be just the right size. It washed up on shore and even with my adds on craigslist and the marinas knobody ever claimed it. I also have an 18' Grumman canoe. We love that canoe! Funny that I could whip up exactly as you described but I'll wait for the zombie apocalypse for that.

image.jpeg

I was looking for one of these as a second boat for our boys annual trip but couldn’t find a decent one. That one looks great! Bolt one of these on, you don’t want to be flipping all the time.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sea-Dog-520040-1-Garboard-Drain-Plug/dp/B000R4UC16

Stumpalump? That's my vote for the best "one boat" a guy can have. It's big enough, light enough, stable enough, and gawd-knows, tough enough to handle a wide variety of waters and uses.

Might be able to handle a 5, 5.5 hp with some weight up front.

Be happy, be safe. =D>

The full transom changes everything with a motor.
The only other do everything boat I have had was a drift boat. I bought it to run rivers, but ended up using it on lakes to fish with an outboard a lot. Easy to launch from the beach for one person. No ramp needed. Cheap to own. I could take the boat off with the roller and use the drift trailer to haul all different kinds of things.

I had one for several years and kick myself in the tookus for ever selling it. At least I know where it is and that is in good hands.
Mine was built in 1954 in the O.D. Green color and not a single dent in it anywhere! Was built like a tank and probably still built out of the aluminum from wartime....well I would like to think so anyway!
Here are some photos from an Antique Outboard meet where we had a "3 Horsepower Race". The Grumman would plane out if I got my weight far enough forward and used a short paddle bungee'd to the tiller handle to steer. The little Grumman won the race easily! A sundial could be used to calculate lap times!

This pic was for a different race. A "Zephyr Race"
A Zepyhr was built by Evinrude and is currently still the smallest opposed 4-cylinder engine ever made. It was rated at a whopping 5.4hp!

The start of the 3hp race.

.....and all by myself, well out in front of the other boats! Look closely and you can see the rooster tail out back of the boat indicating that it planed off and the paddle I had tied onto the tiller handle with a bungee cord!

What a great story! I picked up two Evinrude 6hp in very sad shape yesterday just in case the 4hp folder doesn't quite get it. Early 70’s. Ones missing the starter and the other one wobbles so bad it ate up the top aluminum plate that acts as the spool bearing. Never had any problems with that type starter. When I was a kid I had a 10’ flatbottom Duranautic with a Johnson 6 and a tiller extension. It was fun to sit on the floor because ot made the boat handle like a slot car. This is epic!
BF98729D-90C8-4B8D-AA9E-6ED9A4A0E5BE.jpeg

I have been sidetracked with a sandrail I just built. Belive it or not the best drivers in the dunes all have boating experiance. The sand piles up by Mother Nature just like she piles up water.
My old car got beat up.

E5770E10-6DBB-4A3C-B8B1-F0D537108320.jpeg

Those other 2 gents obviously haven't heard about aerodynamics.... No standing or even flags when you're running 3 hp... :)

20110118-36.jpg

Shaugh - The fellow standing is running and Evinrude "Ruddertwin". The engine is stationary and there is a huge steerable rudder out back of the propeller, very similar to an inboard set up.
There are two steering arms up around powerhead level that are utilized by two ropes,one on each side or just a long loop.
The driver typically stood (or sometimes sat) and steered by pulling the rope on the side you wanted to turn to!
We have come a long way!

You can see the strings he is holding. Crazy!

Attachments

• A2FF58A0-AF43-4A5A-85F5-CD186107AD6B.jpeg
    A2FF58A0-AF43-4A5A-85F5-CD186107AD6B.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,226

Latest posts