fish finder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbotodd

Reaction score
I need one.

I have gotten by for many years without one. Had an old depth finder previously, all it was good for was depth. Was in my old boat. "New" (6 years old now!) boat is a 15' aluminum, and I'm fishing a few areas that mostly require GPS to find submerged structures, big, deeper lake, and a shallow small lake both freshwater. Will never see salt.

Anyway...

What I need the most is GPS. Water temp is nice but not required. I know mostly what the temps are, based on depth, time of year, and how long it's been 100+ degrees outside. Be nice to have imaging, down or side, or both....have never used either, so I can't decide which one would benefit me the most. Somewhat inexpensive is also a requirement. I wont' spend $5000 on a unit, just not gonna happen-ever. It'll not be used on every outing either since I fish a lot of different areas and some of them a finder is useless (fish by sight and instinct).

Ease of use is important, I'm not that tech savvy. Easy to learn would be nice since I'm find the older I get the harder it is to learn "new stuff".

Y'all got any suggestions? If you have question about usage, etc...feel free to ask.

Santa brought me a Garmin Striker. Guess he didn't check the list twice. Can't wait to try it out this spring.

I think you set your target budget then look among the leader consumer brands to see which will give you the most bang for your buck. All should have reliable units at various price points. I have a Humminbird with GPS & Down Imaging. I don't use the imaging but otherwise like the unit a lot.

I'm thinking about replacing my current depthfinder with either a Garmin 7 or Raymarine Dragonfly 7. Both are within the price range that I can afford.
My current Lowrance X91 still works fine but I would like to have the GPS

Latest posts