Traveling Toolbox

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valarder

Reaction score
In an effort to get better organized, I am going to purchase a larger toolbox that will serve not only as complete storage for my tools at the shop but also in the paddock. Even though I have independent socket/wrench sets, I'm currently transferring screw drivers, pliers, etc. and it sucks.

I've had my eye on the Home Depot 52" https://mechanicguides.com/best-truck-toolbox/ box for about 2 years now, and think I'm going to pull the trigger. I've been reading all the tool snob reviews and it lead me to this NON BRAND SPECIFIC question:

Has anyone seen any related failures from tool box transportation (wheeling it around, bouncing on the trailer, etc.)? Any spot weld cracks or doors/slides that no longer function properly?

I'm not too concerned about the wheels, because I'm going to build a "tray" with better wheels for the whole thing to sit in.

Thanks for the help!

I have a tool box that I take to the recycling yards. It sets on a two wheel dolly. The only thing I changed out was the wheels, they were pnuematic, I switched them out for solid ones so I don't have to deal with flats.

Valarder said:
In an effort to get better organized, I am going to purchase a larger toolbox that will serve not only as complete storage for my tools at the shop but also in the paddock. Even though I have independent socket/wrench sets, I'm currently transferring screw drivers, pliers, etc. and it sucks.

I've had my eye on the Home Depot 52" box for about 2 years now, and think I'm going to pull the trigger. I've been reading all the tool snob reviews and it lead me to this NON BRAND SPECIFIC question:

Has anyone seen any related failures from tool box transportation (wheeling it around, bouncing on the trailer, etc.)? Any spot weld cracks or doors/slides that no longer function properly?

I'm not too concerned about the wheels, because I'm going to build a "tray" with better wheels for the whole thing to sit in.

Thanks for the help!

I have a 52" Husky deep model, the drawers are held in by detents, I would not trust it for mobile use.

Have a look at the US General boxes from Harbor Freight. Better construction than most in the price range. You can get them with detents or drawer latches.

My personal toolboxes are Snap-On.
A co-worker bought a much cheaper toolbox, built a cart for it with better wheels. It does the job just as good as my Snap-On box.
As long as you can lock the drawers closed it should work fine for you.

If you have a harbor freight in your area you should take a look at theirs. I know they have a poor reputation on some stuff but there toolboxes and carts are supprisingly nice.

If you are bouncing tools down the road, most boxes won't hold up over time. Snap on makes a tough box but at a tough price. A CPL box is an alternative and is designed to live on a truck. Older beech box if you can find one. Boxes made for the road cost more but are worth it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I have had drawers buckle on cheaper boxes on the road. The bigger the box, the more stress on them

A traditional box (chest and top) isn't going to play well with transport for very long. The drawers should latch instead of detent. Some boxes have magnet detents which aren't really any good in my opinion, for transport use. Some have a big bar that goes from top to bottom and those work great for keeping the drawers closed, but they're tougher to deal with when it comes time to use the box. The mounting points for the caster wheels on most boxes is designed to hold the weight of the box at rest, not rolling, and certainly not while being transported on a trailer or whatever. I've had several Craftsman boxes that I used for road use (in an enclosed trailer for race car tools) and have had several of the caster areas break. Drawers never want to stay shut. After a 100 mile haul, they'd all be wide open and tools laying on the floor (detent style draw locks). HF boxes are available with detents or actual latches. The latch style is all plastic. I have their 72" version and love the box for home use, and probably would work well for work use too, but for a road box, not so much mainly because it's just too big.

There are "pit boxes" that work pretty good for transport. A lot of circle track racers use them, and they seem to hold up fine for most of them. Sure, there's always gonna be somebody who can tear up an anvil with a feather duster.

The Husky 52" box is just ok. I have one at work, also have a 20+ year old Masterhand set I got from TSC when they were green (then they went to black). The husky's top box top lid is kind of weird. You'd think that it's a good idea, and it is, but what I find is that stuff has a tendency to fall out the front of it when I open it. Kinda irritates me when it happens. The rest of the box is pretty solid and somewhat well-built for the money. It's not a Matco for sure, but also costs less than 1/4 of a similar Matco.

A lot of the budget minded boxes are built by the same company, and if you really look at them, you'll see the similarities. The spot welds are ok, and they will again suffice for stationary use, but bouncing around will over time not be kind to them. I've had Craftsman boxes that buckled drawers, broken spot welds out, broken the caster mounts away from the bottom, etc while being used as road box on both an enclosed trailer and an open trailer hauling a drag car. The bigger stationary "shop" boxes really aren't meant for that sort of use.

There used to be a chinese tool shop locally that sold tons of boxes and the ones that impressed me the most were Waterloo. They carried a few of the smaller pit boxes at that store, I want to say they were about $700, but I really liked them. Just never could afford one. They are now out of business unfortunately, as the owner died and nobody wanted to take the store over, and the wife could care less about it.

https://goo.gl/images/3HXFME
Montezuma cpl boxes are pretty tough and made for the road.

I'm looking into tool boxes for my pickup, but I only need some rudimentary hand tools, jumper cables, tie down straps and bungees etc.

The "Undercover" cases secure to the bed and come out easily. They're a bit pricey but I think they'd suit my needs fine.

s-l1600.jpg

gnappi said:
I'm looking into tool boxes for my pickup, but I only need some rudimentary hand tools, jumper cables, tie down straps and bungees etc.

The "Undercover" cases secure to the bed and come out easily. They're a bit pricey but I think they'd suit my needs fine.

s-l1600.jpg
Wish you lived closer. I have a set that I'd sell for $50

Valarder said:

I've had my eye on the Home Depot 52" https://mechanicguides.com/best-truck-toolbox/ box for about 2 years now, and think I'm going to pull the trigger. I've been reading all the tool snob reviews and it lead me to this NON BRAND SPECIFIC question:

Thanks for the help!

Other than something like a montazuma, your going to kill a tool box hauling it around all the time. At least the traditional drawer style. I would look into tool rolls. I have denim tool rolls my wife made me for standard wrenches, and metric, and about to have one made for misc drivers/etc. Take it to what your working on, untie it roll it out there's all your tools in order and you'll know if you are missing one before you roll it back up. I take a black sharpie and write what size goes in each slot as well. You could throw these in a truck toolbox or traditional lunchbox style toolbox for transport.

Latest posts