What to use on the bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokepole

Reaction score
I have seen goop coat it , gator glide and steel flex. Has anyone used these products if so can you give my your thoughts on them? I dont have any leaks I will be using the product as a preventive.

Typically I go bare aluminum or painted. It makes it much easier to locate and repair any future issues. I have had boats that have been previously gooped up with various products and found that they eventually peel, bubble or flake. Just my opinion.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Assuming you are working on an old riveted boat, IMO the best preventative action is to rebuck the rivets. If you have any that are questionable, they can be replaced. This operation is very inexpensive, requiring mainly elbow grease. You can get a rebuck anvil & rivets online for cheap.

Take a look a G-Flex or even super glue. Warm the rivet heads with a heat gun or hair blow dryer and drip on the G-flex or super glue around the river head.

While Gator glide and G-flex will seal leaky rivets not sure if they prevent them from coming loose.These type of products are popular with duck hunters as they act as a wear layer that helps aluminum boats slide over mud,sand,grass etc.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Assuming you are working on an old riveted boat, IMO the best preventative action is to rebuck the rivets. If you have any that are questionable, they can be replaced. This operation is very inexpensive, requiring mainly elbow grease. You can get a rebuck anvil & rivets online for cheap.
I agree with this statement ^^^^ an afternoon and a cooler full of beer goes a long way!! With that said, I've used a bunch of steel flex over the years but always on duck boats and airboats. It does work well for an added layer of protection, but the added slickness in the grass and weeds is where it really shines.....and dry ground with an airboat.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bare galvanized aluminum is the easiest to maintain. You can see everything.

I had a wooden drift boat once where someone had screwed the flexible sheets on the bottom. It hung up on rocks at the seams a little. It was harder to repair the boat. I took it off.

Latest posts