Decks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ern

Reaction score
Need some help,
On a boat(15'Polarcraft) or similar,a boat that has the short deck up front,is it better to tie in to the existing deck,or build over the existing deck?
I've read and looked at multiple post,some do and some don't.
Thanks for the add to this forum!
Ern

Guess a lot would depend on what you're going to use it for. My deck is elevated because I like bow fishing, therefore it's elevated to give me a better view. If I just wanted a casting deck I'd probably just add on to what was already there.

I decked over my existing deck and extended it about a foot. I simply laid a piece of 1/2" plywood on top of the existing deck that was about a foot longer and I added a 1x2 wood stiffener to the edge, I also riveted some aluminum angle to the side of the boat where the plywood extended beyond the deck for support. I also added a box under the extended part for a battery which also adds stiffness and strength to the extended part of the deck. It is very solid. There are no hatches in the front deck since it was filled with foam to begin with and I just left that alone. I epoxied over the wood on all sides and also put sand on it for the non skid.

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 522

Latest posts