bimini enclosure

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcbouy

Reaction score
anyone done a full enclosure on their small tinny? i'm looking for ideas on closing my console steer for the early spring and late fall fishing trips.i've got a 4 bow bimini and one as a spare.i lost the cover on my first one and it was either have a new cover made or just spend the extra hundred for a complete new top.anyways,i'm looking to do a bow to maybe just aft of the drivers seat cover in clear plastic that i could zipper or velcro to the bimini and snap to the hull.if you've done one could you please post a pic or 2? i have an idea in my head of what it should look like but i would like to have a pic to see if it will work and maybe show to the fabricators.

Interesting to read your post.

If you have a windshield, maybe you can build around that.

I have been think of the same thing.

I have a tight fitting cover (homemade) that I was thinking could just be folded back the last 1/3 of boat. I have cut PVC pipe pcs lengthwise & made clamps before, they could be used to tie down along the rubrail.

The negative thing I forecast is not being able to move around in case of a problem. Also concerned the wind will catch & cause a problem.

My better half pulled me back to earth & says why not just wear your carharts & a hat.

So no movement on this idea yet!

no windshield,just the small plexi one on the console.i've been kicking around the idea of adding a small walkthrough and fabbing the passenger side support and running the enclosure off of the full windshield,but in the long run it would be cheaper to have a custom enclosure made,plus i like the open deck of the side console setup and i would need to relocate the forward passenger seat mount and patch the hole.my bimini is tall enough that i will have the use of all the forward area of the boat with the panels up and if i have the zipper down the center i can get in/out without any issues.the weather isn't really an issue for me,but my fishing partner is my wife and she always comes with me and if she's not happy....

Back in the 70's I added side curtains with clear plastic windows to the existing canvass top of my boat. I actually enrolled in an Adult Ed upholstery class. Other students had furniture projects. I had my canvass materials and templates. Using the schools commercial grade machines made it pretty easy. I didn't really know what I was doing but it turned out OK. This wasn't a bimini top, but I thought I would share in case you want to do a DIY.

Edit: This link will take you to Stumpalump's 2017 thread showing a 360 deg enclosure on his Bayrunner center console. His does not cover the steering console, but that is an easy design change. It looks like it is using a bimini as a starting point. And yes thank you very much, I have an incredible memory when it comes to boating or fishing related stuff. Haha

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43165#p435220

that's sort of what i have in mind but i want the front section done in a clear plastic with a fabric/zippered strip up middle section and side curtains without the rear enclosed.i want the rain and wind out and the heat in.the wife used some of her cabelas gift card money to buy herself a little buddy heater for the boat but i don't think it will work all that well without some kind of shelter.

I have a canvass top and side curtains. I think it is probably much easier to do with a windshield boat. The pic below isn't my boat, but is just like mine. Seems the challenge for you would be doing the front screen. Maybe you don't need the front screen to go all the way to the bow. Instead maybe just far enough forward to clear the console & seating. How to connect it across the deck might require some creative head scratching -- snaps, velcro, a hem filled with weight of some kind, or ???

Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.03.31 AM.png

that's why i want it all the way to the bow.i have 4 swivel clips already there on the front deck plate to hold down my traveling cover and i'd still have clearance for my deckmate anchor winch and even my trolling motor if i leave it in the deployed position and just raised it up,and my cooler is directly in front of my console,and if i can't get at the cooler i might as well stay home. :D my bow has a good sized raised cubby i can work off of.the way i have my bimini mounted it goes well past the console by at least 35.5 inches. it's a 4 bow bimini.the dimensions are something like 75x90.

No photos, but back in the 70's I had an uncle with a 13' Boston Whaler, he mounted rod holders on either side of his console (he had added) and rigged some tubing that slipped into the rod holders and made a T top, used velcro to close it in on 3 sides. I got to take it out once before he moved up to a larger boat and it was pretty warm while anchored up with the wind being blocked, when the sun came from behind the clouds it got real warm.

Latest posts