Stripping old paint of my Sea Nymph 14R

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega2

Reaction score
Omega2.jpg

Hello Guys:

I'm new to ths site, but have been an aluminum Boat owner for a long time, my favorite Tin boats have always been Sea-Nymphs, Particularly the 14R (1462) V-bottom Utility. I have owned several because they are great boats for both salt and freshwater.
(I painted this boat with no primer back when I didnt know any better, so the paint is a ***** to keep on)
I want to strip my 1993 14 sea Nymph 14R down to the bare metal, sand the bare aluminum to etch it, then apply a coat of 2-Part expoxy primer, then repaint with a nice two-part polyurethane for abrasion reisistance.

Somehow I just know you guys here that know exactly how to get the old paint of this boat.

What do guys recommend? I've painted plenty of aluminum boats but never took the paint off al the way down.

Thanks!

Aircraft stripper if you can get it. Or whatever paint stripper you can find. Do small sections at a time. I have found spreading it on and covering with plastic wrap works good. It's a lot of work man. Just have to stick with it.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

If the paint isn't sticking well then a chemical stripper should have little trouble getting it off. If the paint is sticking well in places, you would probably be over killing the job by trying to strip those areas too. Since you're going to prime and repaint the boat anyway, I'd just leave areas that are solid, sand and prime over them.... you'll save yourself a lot of toxic fumes by doing that, and the end result will likely not be any different.

Latest posts