Transom Riser

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProduceMan

Reaction score
I have a short shaft Johnson 15 and a short transom. Cav plate still 1 1/2" below the hull. I have a chance to buy a static mount kicker bracket for cheap. Could I use just the poly mounting board and bolt it outside the transom to get the desired rise. The bracket is rated to 15hp. The poly board would result in a 2" setback. Good idea or no?

i don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.if it were any higher hp or heavier 4 stroke i'd consider a mechanical jackplate,however i personally would not trailer it in the lifted position. t-h marine makes a small jackplate for around $100.bass pro as well.

My motor is a longer short shaft and I run a T&H mini jacker, It's great.

i got one off of a member here. worked great! solved my issues with porposing and added more speed. also would get up on plane faster.

I used 1/4" aluminum angle for mine & got about 4" of setback in the process.

LDUBS - it gains you a little top end speed, a little acceleration and (done by yourself) doesn't cost much.

I think if anything my 1436 lost a bit of handling vs having the prob burried another 2.5 inches in the water. I noticed I can blow my prop out cutting turns too hard now that I could make with ease in the past.

that's where power trim or the lack thereof comes into play.with a 15 hp you have limitations.my 25 ss tilller tohatsu would cavitate in tight turns if i didn't adjust the trim accordingly.

That's phase 2 of the riser build slated for this year...hopefully successfully adding a power trim adjustment. Until then you're right, I'm stuck with the trim at a fixed position.

Latest posts