Multi tool type boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curdogger34

Reaction score
I know my title may not make much sense. I currently own a 1648 jon with a 45hp outboard that I have not fished in 2 years. I also own a Jackson kilroy dt love the kayak. What Im looking for is a yak killer type boat. Have looked at some micro skiff an Gheenoe. What I am looking for is a boat i can run traps out of fish mainly go after crappie an catfish, bowfish also like loading up my 2 hounds an chasing coon with them off the boat. So Im looking for something small that still lets me get in those hard to reach places that the kayak allows. Love the kayak just dislike the fact I can run an outboard.

I've had a lot of boats over the years and a lot of them were "do-it-all" style. The problem with that is that while it may do it all, it may not do one thing well, and that's where I had my expectations set too high. Honestly, for what I do, I could use about 4 boats but I don't have a place to store 3 of them, so I had to make adjustments...in other words, I ain't fishing some of those areas that my little jon won't safely get into. I hate it but also found other areas that I can get to, which hold fish just the same.

I would think a 1236jon would do most of the above. You didn't mention how much water you have to cover, but if in no hurry, a small outboard 6hp-9.9hp should serve you well. If you are not traveling long distance, even a 32-36 lb. troller will get you from a to b. Wouldn't necessarily have to trailer it. A 12 footer fits nicely in the bed of a truck. Your 1648 is a lot of boat for getting into tight places.

I have a buddy that owns a 1236 an its a not bad. I have no problem with it being on a trailer actually prefer that it is. As far as distance that just depends where I am at. I will be more than happy with a boat that will run 10 to 15 mph. Im used to paddling now. With a outboard I will be able to make more drops with the hounds each night cutting down the travel time. I know its all personal preference an outfitting the boat for what purpose it will be serving the majority of the time.

Me personally, I would go for a small flatbottom (14'x36" maybe) that can handle a 15hp outboard while also slim enough you could row it or be able to smoothly paddle each side (basically not too wide). Then I would also do a basic 7-8 hp mud motor build to have for the boat as well. Both motors would move the boat well and could use whichever the body of water warrants.

Take it from a guy who runs a canoe with a motor. They suck when you are by yourself. They are however, handy for getting in just about anywhere. I don't care for it in open water.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Something's gotta give, figure out the most use and try to fit that the best you can then you will need to compromise everywhere else, if you want to do it all in one boat.

Curdogger34 said:
I know my title may not make much sense. I currently own a 1648 jon with a 45hp outboard that I have not fished in 2 years. I also own a Jackson kilroy dt love the kayak. What Im looking for is a yak killer type boat. Have looked at some micro skiff an Gheenoe. What I am looking for is a boat i can run traps out of fish mainly go after crappie an catfish, bowfish also like loading up my 2 hounds an chasing coon with them off the boat. So Im looking for something small that still lets me get in those hard to reach places that the kayak allows. Love the kayak just dislike the fact I can run an outboard.

14' richline semi v here, it's been pretty good as a do it all boat. Unless you want to take a bunch of people that is.

Gas motors with a troll switch to get them to run trimmed wayyyy up are pretty good for getting around in the shallows, if it gets real skinny flip the motor up out of the water and get a foot controlled trolling motor on the front, if you hang onto the rope that deploys them you can skim the surface of the water and scoot around pretty good in literal inches of water. Beyond that it's the paddle and the push pole for me. I don't go skinny nearly enough to dick with a mud motor or long tail.

The v on the front cuts waves pretty good, 2' waves still make me pucker but I haven't had issues yet.

My do-all is my 16' Lund S-16 that I recently did some mods to. I duck hunt out of it, freshwater fish (mainly crappie), and take it into Tampa Bay and the backwaters and flats. I still need a mud boat for some of the duck hunting I do, but it works for about 90% of my needs.

Latest posts