Best Way to Get Rid of Sharp Edges on Aluminum Plate?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VaMushroomer

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I bought a couple of 12"x12"x1/8" pieces of 5052 aluminum alloy plate, which I will mount to my jon boat benches in order to provide a more rigid base to mount swivel seats. The edges of these aluminum plates are quite sharp, more than enough to make a nasty cut if I were careless in handling them with bare hands. Admittedly, once the plates are mounted atop the benches, there probably won't be a problem since they lie so low; however, I want to err on the side of safety and would like to smooth the edges. Any thoughts about how I might efficiently go about doing that, using the tools I have at hand? I've got a Dremel rotary tool with a number of wheels for sanding, polishing and grinding; an orbital sander; a set of files; and good old-fashioned sandpaper sheets in various grits. I'm not as concerned with final appearance, as I am with accomplishing the objective of making it safe to run my finger along the edge of the plates.
Thanks!

I use a file all the time to eliminate rough or sharp edges on aluminum, on pieces that small it shouldn't take long to smooth out the sharp edges.

Another thing I used to form a repaired leading edge of a jet foot was a flap disc. on a 4 1/2" grinder. I found that that worked way better than by using a regular grinding disc. and a file couldn't do what that disc did for that particular application.

Smart ideas already on here. One more would be one of the scotch brite discs on a die grinder.

Another vote for just using a big flat file. Setting up your angle grinder, sander, or dremel will take longer than knocking down the edges with your file.

you should also be aware of the dangers of grinding non ferrous metals and steel with the same grinding disc.ie do NOT use the disc on metal after you've used it on aluminum.

bcbouy said:
you should also be aware of the dangers of grinding non ferrous metals and steel with the same grinding disc.ie do NOT use the disc on metal after you've used it on aluminum.

What are the dangers?

Latest posts