Transom Launching Wheels

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
Thinking about mounting these to the transom on my 12' Sears Gamefisher. Anyone try these or something similar?

Attachments

• Beachmaster.jpg
    Beachmaster.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,526
That idea has been around a long time. I can't see any reason why, if you do not have a trailer, that it would be a bad idea.

I've had a number of kayaks, all of which weighed less than your boat, most likely. I built a PVC Kayak hauler for each one. Sure beats dragging your craft over rocks and oyster shells to launch. Go for it!

Attachments

• cart1 reduced.jpg
    cart1 reduced.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,508
The biggest downside to mounting them on the transom is if your wheels drop into a pothole or you hit something, It generates a lot of force. My dad had some mounted to the back of his inexpensive (thin transom) aluminum many years ago and he ripped one of them off after impact. Left a lot of carnage on the boat.
I like the ones for the kayak as shown above because if something is hit, they will just slide backwards. Unfortunately, with a set up like that you have to have a way to drop the wheels after launching and retrieve them.

Drive slow and avoid obstacles.

Best regards
Bill

I would load the boat into the back of the truck, bow first, travel to the launch area, then hand wheel the boat down to the water. Some fresh water ponds, some sand, some mud, etc. I don't think its a good idea to tow the boat around on them, should have specified.

Some kind of Quick Release arrangement might alleviate all concerns.

Same issue ( stuck wheel) happens on yaks. Some guys buy or make the yak hauler so that it fits through the scuppers. Worst idea ever, unless you like plastic welding the scupper back when the wheel gets hung up.

I built this jon boat dolly for our 12' boat. There is a D-ring on each side. You can see one sticking out on the right. A ratchet strap goes around the boat from d-ring to d-ring and holds everything together. The two wooden strips lay against the strakes on the bottom and keep the dolly from sliding back and forth or rotating. We load our boat into the back of my truck and can usually just back right up to the water but sometimes we need to move the boat over land and this makes it real easy. Having the wheels near the middle of the boat also balances the boat and makes it weigh nothing.

I often drop the boat off to my son's boy scout troop during camping trips. I drop off the boat at the camp site and the scouts roll it 1/4 mile through the woods to the water.

12_Jon_Boat_Wheeled_Dolly.jpg

LDUBS said:
Hi Dmack. Looking at the pic in your original post. What are those two round things on either side of the transom?

Just curious.

Just a pic of an inflatable I pulled off the internet.

I use one wheel in the center of mine . it is a lot easier than 2 wheels as with 1 wheel you move it around like a wheelbarrow . my vido would explain it better

https://youtu.be/4J3gfn37SPY

Consider the ground you'll be wheeling it on. Wider tires for floatation will help. When retracted will also provide extra flotation during one of those Oh **** moments. Boaters with tinnies use them all the time in Baja for beach launching.

Mack in N.C. said:
I use one wheel in the center of mine . it is a lot easier than 2 wheels as with 1 wheel you move it around like a wheelbarrow . my vido would explain it better

I think this wheelbarrow design concept is a pretty darn good idea. Using a fat wheelbarrow tire would make it pretty useful for uneven ground. Could be pushed or pulled like a travois. Even cooler if you could come up with a way for oars to double as handles like on a wheelbarrow.

Mack in N.C. said:

Mack:

The wheel is good. That j-channel for the seats is awesome. I just googled the stuff and came up with nothing. Can you give me a link where I can find it?

Thanks.

maintenanceguy said:
Mack in N.C. said:

Mack:

The wheel is good. That j-channel for the seats is awesome. I just googled the stuff and came up with nothing. Can you give me a link where I can find it?

Thanks.

MG - I believe these are them Swivl-Eze Seat Ext Jon Bt 2pk - SP-15200

-medburd

medburd said:
maintenanceguy said:
Mack in N.C. said:
I use one wheel in the center of mine . it is a lot easier than 2 wheels as with 1
MG - I believe these are them Swivl-Eze Seat Ext Jon Bt 2pk - SP-15200

-medburd

Thank you. Found them. I may be adding them to my new build as soon as the weather warms up this spring.

Thanks for all the replies. I like the redneck ingenuity but I think I'm going to stick with some version of a fixed transom mounted set up. Would have to be wide and/or pneumatic for going over sand.

Next thing to consider is should I add a piece of plywood the size of the entire transom or just pad out the area where the motor mounts and where I would mount the wheels? I don't want to add too much extra weight but I do want to strengthen the transom a tad. Planning on powering it with a Johnson 15 hp 2 stroke. I priced out Coosa and that is out of the question due to cost but it is some light stuff!
Thanks, Dan

Latest posts