Evinrude 35 vs Etec 40- Worth the upgrade on a 16' V-bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worth the upgrade for 5 HP?

• No - the weight difference is too much, will imbalance the boat.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes - It will still be faster and run just fine

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Neutral- Will probably not gain much speed, but might still be a nicer motor for other reasons.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

thill

Reaction score
I have a 1995 Princecraft Starfish, 16' long x 72" wide V-bottom:
AttachmentImage.ashx

Starfish16L-2019-DessinTech.gif

They are 320 pounds from the factory, mine has some decking, and probably weighs about 500 lbs, by the time you add in trolling motor and small console:
1490647099757.jpg

I am currently running an old Evinrude 35 HP 2-stroke. It only weighs a touch over 100 lbs but it pushes the boat well. She runs 28+ mph when I'm alone with the 13p prop, and about 25 mph when I have my brother and his two sons, with the 11p prop. Not too bad, in my opinion.

I ran into a crazy-good deal on a 2008 Evinrude Etec 40, so I bought it, planning to upgrade my 35. Later I learned that the Etec weighs in at a hefty 240 lbs. Over double my 35, and the same weight as a carbed Evinrude 70!

So my question is: Will the 5 hp upgrade offset the extra weight enough to be worth it?

I've posted on Etec forums and have gotten mixed answers. It seems like fiberglass guys say yes, but one tinny owner said don't do it, but go with the Etec 30, if I want to upgrade. So I'm coming here, since you guys know aluminum boats.

Please let me know what you think. All opinions and experiences will be greatly appreciated.

you don't mention how old your 35 is so it's hard to compare them.if it's as old as i think it might be it's comparing apples to oranges.old evinrudes and modern etecs are nowhere near the same.the modern etec is leaps and bounds ahead of the old evinrudes.they're more efficient,more reliable,way quieter,easier to integrate modern electronics and gauges and oil injected.the modern etec 40 is a 40 to 60 hp just with different emm's.all share the same leg and block i believe.the 40 is a no brainer as far as i'm concerned.my 40 pushes my 1000 lb boat to 30 mph.plenty fast enough.if i need any more than that i'm in the wrong boat.

A new Starfish looks like it has the same spec's as your '95 model and is rated for up to 40 HP, so you should be OK there. The ETEC is heavier than other 40 HP four-strokes by 25 to 35 pounds. Not sure why and don't like adding extra weight if it can be avoided. But, I agree with Bcbouy & would opt for the new technology 40 HP. And, besides, you already have it on hand so go for it.

My Evinrude 35 is a 1976 model.
20160721_093215.jpg
I think you are right. I don't think they have changed these boats at all.

When adding decking, I focused on light weight. The front deck has zero supports, but is rock-solid. The back deck only has a single aluminum stiffener. Together, they are well under 100 lbs.

Here is a video of my boat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pOSdJTv-Y

Is the Etec more reliable? This engine has been running smoothly and reliably for 43 years. Starts every time. And since new, it's only been serviced a handful of times. The biggest thing it's ever had done was a new power pack ($59) a few years ago.

It's hard to imagine that ANY modern engine can match that kind of service, but you never know.

I want to upgrade, but only IF it's really worth it. My boat currently hits 30 sometimes, and I'm wondering what the Etec will do. Still looking for opinions and experiences before making any decisions.

Thanks!

ldubs,the 40 is heavier because it's basically a detuned 60.everything is bigger on the 40 compared to the 35.i'd take injection over carb any day.

I have a 16' Naden vee hull running a 1983 Johnson 35. Somewhere around 1985 the industry went from powerhead to propshaft for horsepower ratings, so our motors are more like 30 hp.
I like the light weight of the old motor, I can take it off by myself at the end of the season. I can also sit my 220lbs on it (not that this is a regular practice) and not worry about water coming over the transom. Mine is a short transom plus I have a trolling motor and battery at the stern as well.
The etec is an awesome motor, I see a lot of them in the remote areas where I fish and wow are they quiet. I'd be willing to bet you'd even see a slight increase in power with a 30. The weight penalty with the 40 is too much in my opinion. It would definitely show you where the weak spots in the transom are and make the stern sit lower. Taking it off would require a hoist. I'm going to keep running my old 35, it starts first pull once warm and just keeps going. Keep a good impeller in those old motors and they will run indefinitely.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the experience and thoughts, Weldor. Sounds like you have had a similar experience as I have with the 35. I love how light these motors are.

Several people have now mentioned that I probably want an Etec 30 for this boat. I'm going to start searching for one. Thanks again!

I think that the current speeds that the motor gives you should be plenty. I can't imagine going much faster in that boat. 30 MPH is hauling hay in my book. I would also think that the weight penalty might offset any speed/performance gains. You might even need tabs or adjustable trim to get the boat to properly plane.

I just put a Honda 30 on a new Gregor 16 (very similar to yours) and was quite pleased with the performance. The newer motors are so quiet. My boat is rated up to 50 and I can't imagine what a rocket ship that boat would be with a 50. I do think it would scare the heck out of me!

Good luck!
Bill

That 30 sounds like a nice fit for your boat. How fast is it with the new Honda?

It's funny how you get used to speed. My old boat did 23, and that felt fast. This boat does 28, and I'm starting to wish for 35. Even at top speed, it handles well. Makes me want more speed.

Here is video of me running back to dock:

https://youtu.be/49OZfmx_8Q0

Superlucky said:
I think that the current speeds that the motor gives you should be plenty. I can't imagine going much faster in that boat. 30 MPH is hauling hay in my book. I would also think that the weight penalty might offset any speed/performance gains. You might even need tabs or adjustable trim to get the boat to properly plane.

I just put a Honda 30 on a new Gregor 16 (very similar to yours) and was quite pleased with the performance. The newer motors are so quiet. My boat is rated up to 50 and I can't imagine what a rocket ship that boat would be with a 50. I do think it would scare the heck out of me!

Good luck!
Bill

I have the Honda 50 HP on my 18' Gregor windshield boat. It is rated for a 60. The 50 HP Honda weighs in at 214#. I seldom go wide open throttle, but when I did I managed 32 mph on a calm day. I'm happy with 26 -28 mph with 3/4 throttle (power trim is your friend).

"This engine has been running smoothly and reliably for 43 years. Starts every time. And since new, it's only been serviced a handful of times. The biggest thing it's ever had done was a new power pack ($59) a few years ago.

It's hard to imagine that ANY modern engine can match that kind of service, but you never know."

Well, this makes the decision harder. Like I said two or three posts earlier, I would go with the modern ETEC technology. But, then there is that old saying: "If it aint broke . . . . . "

Tough decision.

(Sorry for the multiple posts here on this thread -- Yikes! :shock: )

the key phrase is 43 years :LOL2: .the last evinrude i wore out ran great right up to the day it croaked.i took it in and it was just not worth the $ to fix.it was just plain wore out.it was only around 35 years old but had a million hours on it.if i remember correctly i gave it to the mechanic in trade for the diagnosis.and no,it was definately junk.

I'm a big fan of the etecs. I think you certainly don't need the extra power but I bet you'll like it! My boat goes about 50mph and I hate to tell you, I use it. Frequently!

LDUBS said:
I have the Honda 50 HP on my 18' Gregor windshield boat. It is rated for a 60. The 50 HP Honda weighs in at 214#. I seldom go wide open throttle, but when I did I managed 32 mph on a calm day. I'm happy with 26 -28 mph with 3/4 throttle (power trim is your friend).

jethro said:
I'm a big fan of the etecs. I think you certainly don't need the extra power but I bet you'll like it! My boat goes about 50mph and I hate to tell you, I use it. Frequently!

^^^ That's what I'm hoping for right there. And YES, I would probably use it frequently too!

LDUBS said:
Well, this makes the decision harder.... there is that old saying: "If it aint broke . . . . . "
Tough decision.

bcbouy said:
the key phrase is 43 years :LOL2: .the last evinrude i wore out ran great right up to the day it croaked.

And there is my predicament in a nutshell! This thing runs awesomely, but one day it's going to die. Do I run it until it drops, or do I upgrade to something else while it's still worth passing on???

LDUBS said:
Carbs have always been kind of a mystery to me.

Believe it or not, carbs are pretty simple, IF you have someone show you how they work.

Older motors have carbs with external adjustment knobs. So let's say you get a glob of stuff in the carb, and it won't idle. Open up the mixture knob to get it started, rev it up and cover the carb throat with a rag, and engine vacuum sucks the glob through. Turn the knob back in and go on about your business. Of course, you may have to clean them on occasion, especially if you use ethanol fuel.

But get a glob of stuff in a fuel injector, and see how much THAT is going to cost you. $$$$!

But that doesn't stop me from wanting a new motor. Decisions, decisions...

Of course if one was to upgrade, there are so many options. Tohatsu also has a direct injected 40 HP 2 stroke 30 lbs lighter...

A 1976 35hp is powerhead rated as has been stated already. It is probably around 30hp at the propeller.
The newer Etec 40hp is propshaft rated and is in the neighborhood of 43-44hp at the prop. Do your math....
More cu. in. as well so the acceleration will be better as will the load carrying ability.
The gearcase is quite a bit different and swings larger diameter propellers that have a better/faster design to them so efficiency is increased.
You should see a significant improvement in speed and acceleration.

Here is a link to an interesting comparison. Shows how strong the etec 30 is. https://youtu.be/tZvIw83uZgY

Latest posts