Rivet repair - leaking water

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackshear

Reaction score
A good friend of mine just bought a 16" Jon boat at a really good deal but it has leaking rivets in the bottom of the boat. What would be the best way to repair them without investing a lot of money? Is there some type of compound or epoxy he could coat the bottom with?

It's good to tighten them up before using any product. Rebuck for sure. If that doesn't stop the leaking, I have used JB Weld and similar products with good success. I like the kind that comes in a stick that you knead until it's one color. Clean around the rivet until it's shining bare aluminum, sandpaper, wire wheel... Then put on the JB. Once it's dry you can sand the profile down a bit. I can't stress enough that the aluminum needs to be bare, clean and dry. If it is, the patch job will last a long time.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I found 3 rivets that leaked when I bought my boat as well. I re-bucked them and they sealed up just fine. It is a two person job though, and very loud. It'll get the neighbors looking outside when you do it...

R,

Bobby

I have never tried to re-bucking a rivet before but will certainly give it a try first. Thanks for the help.

As stated above first try & rebuck. If that doesn't stop the water, I have found that JB Weld works as long as you are working on a section of the hull that does not flex. The JB Weld will dry rock solid & if the hull flexes it will crack. I have used 3M 5200 with good success.
John

Latest posts