New Owner, New Member, New Builder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shg406

Reaction score
First post to the site! Just purchased a 2018 tracker. First "registered" boat ever. Gonna need plenty of help with plans, names, and whether or not to sacrifice live well space for beer space..... Tough decisions already.

I've been tearing through posts to get ideas and figured I'd better stop being a parasite and join up. I also joined the tiny boat nation on FB the other day but think I might be too old at this point to understand FB. Both the how AND the why..... I've had better luck with forums like this. There tends to be more focus on the topic, more civility, and much less "Hey I'm gonna drop a politics bomb in a group about boats and then act all shocked when people get upset". So yeah... that's my old man social media rant. I also have a great bit about some punk teenagers who won't get off my lawn if anyone is interested....

But back to the build! And the super rude practice of introducing oneself and asking for advice in the same first post...

I don't have a real plan yet, other than I want to deck the front and back, Bent aluminum framing, 3/8" carpeted ply for all decks with the floor between the two decks being just high density foam between the ribs, topped with carpeted ply and screwed in to the ribs. Can I get away with 3/8?

My big question is in regards to materials. I obviously want to stay light but I also don't want ten different types of aluminum to work with. In reading through some posts I am seeing that 1/8" 1603 angle is the way to go which seems fine unless I can go down to 1/16??? Seems flimsy but figured I would see what everyones thoughts were about this.

Also when I settle on the thickness (most likely 1/8) I am hoping to get away with 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" for absolutely everything I'm doing. Is this a width that will work? My overall structural material ideas are based on the following thread https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=19592 that I found but the user seems not to be posting any more. He seems to have done everything with the same size angle aluminum. Just not sure what size. Looks like 1-1/2".

Anyway. Glad to be a part of the forum. I look forward to sharing all of my screw ups with you all!

Welcome. What size is the Tracker and post up a picture so we know what you're starting with. My Lowe has the aluminum flooring which I'm sure is lighter than plywood/carpet. But I keep my boat in the water at a dock 7-8 months of the year so carpet would never work. Do you plan on going center console, side console or tiller?

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    Lowe_1652_3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 797
Thanks! The boat is a 1548. Not sure why I didn't mention that.

No console for me on this one. Sticking with the simple tiller.

Pics coming soon.

welcome aboard , I am new here as well but like the tin boat universe!
post up pics of your project

Step one is pics...check...

Step two....who, what, and where are the next questions. Motor, lakes, rivers, solo, bow fishing, deep sea?....

All these things will dictate how you might build it. If you are just looking for materials help, aluminum is great and 1/8 x 1 1/4 angle will do the trick in almost any setup. Plywood is perfectly acceptable if waterproofed (avoid any pressure treated lumber)....

Thanks for the tips on the aluminum. The 1/16 seemed flimsy but I've never worked with it so I have no idea. Do you think I can get away with just using angle aluminum? No 1" square tubing? Would like to keep my material list as simple as possible.

Who: Myself, maybe a buddy, and a 35 lb dog.

What: Bass fishing, some trolling, some stocked trout fishing in some lakes and ponds. Night time walleyes. Rod and reel but also a fair amount of fly fishing.

Where: Smallish lakes and ponds of southern New England. Maybe a river or two but probably not. That's what the kayak is for. Was thinking about salt but again, got the yak and don't want to deal with the hassle of prepping a boat for salt when I would only put it in a salt pond once or twice a year.

How: Currently looking around for around a 10hp 2 stroke. About to purchase a 45lb thrust minn kota edge for the bow.

With the planning I am doing I am thinking that I should make room for two batteries. One for now to control the trolling motor, and maybe one moving forward for lights, music, bilge, livewell.... ice machine, margarita maker etc..... For weight distribution I was thinking one in the front for now with the trolling motor, then one in the back that I can run wires for all of the other stuff in the future. Thoughts?

Latest posts