Anyone Fudge a title a little? How about 14' title for a 16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_cheapo

Reaction score
Missouri loves their titles, gotta have one for the boat, one for the trailer, and one for the motor.

I legitimately have a 14' richline semi v and it's matching title, no id plate on the hull I'm thinking about having a trophy shop make one. Richlines are a dime a dozen here, they seem like fine boats I enjoy mine but they were made post war in richland missouri (about 100 miles away) and they seemed to make a ton of them. I could find 60 on craigslist right now, (most people don't post the word richline they just call it a boat) But they have a semi distinctive style they're pretty easy to pick out. The most popular ones still kicking around are almost identical but either 14' or 16'

https://springfield.craigslist.org/search/boo?query=richline

I'm thinking about if I end up springing a leak one of these days, or even just catch a deal buying a 16' richline with no title from kansas and slapping my numbers on it. Kansas doesn't title boats, which makes them go really cheap It's 2 feet. I'm a good person I think, I've never even been stopped by the water patrol/conservation. Do you think they'd really think twice about a 55 year old tin boat looking 2 foot longer than it's registered?

Put a big enough motor on it and you'll never be stopped! Lol. Seriously though, I can't see the boat cops looking that close. Mostly they are looking for life jackets and open alcohol, fishing license etc... If you are in compliance, I can't see them looking that close

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

So what does Misery do when someone wants to title a boat that originated in a non title state? Ignore it? Should be some reasonable path toward getting some money in the tax coffers...

thedude said:
So what does Misery do when someone wants to title a boat that originated in a non title state? Ignore it? Should be some reasonable path toward getting some money in the tax coffers...

There are some horrendous hoops you can jump through in order to give them money, there are many horror stories of it not successfully happening and people ending up with some titleless boats. Seems to depend greatly on your local dmv.

thedude said:
To elaborate on it depending greatly on your local dmv, from the local boating groups I follow it seems to go something like this.

You take your bill of sale to the dmv and possibly any kind of paperwork the last buyer had on it, they possibly work it out there or have to send something to the state, hopefully they do a good job and or the person at the state is feeling kind and the state does not reject it, if it gets rejected I think the state troopers have to get involved for you to proceed they want to verify it's not stolen blah blah blah, I think if you get it done in 4 trips to the dmv you consider yourself lucky. I don't believe Kansas titles trailers other than huge ones, and does not title boat motors either. So you have to successfully pull it off on all 3 items.

Which is the reason I'm highly tempted to buy an exact same boat as mine but 2 feet longer and put the same registration numbers on both, i could probably pull it off for like $200 I'm just not sure if it's worth it to get an extra 2 feet, that and I'd have to build a new casting deck in the front of the new boat.

Holy cow, you have to title the outboard motor as well? The hull should have a manufacturer HIN in at least 2 places. Usually the one on the back of the boat is riveted in place. The sprint boat I bought was listed as 12-1/2' on the OR title and NJ does not issue titles for boats under 13' so when I went to register and title it, they said I would get no title. I knew I would have some money into the boat and told them I wanted a title. They were able to change it to 13' and I got a title. It turns out the boat truly is at least 13' and a little longer so maybe there was a money advantage in OR to keeping it under 13'. Changing a boat listing by a foot might no be a big deal, but it could raise some eyebrows if you have a 16' (which might be closer to 16-1/2') registered as a 14'. I guess it depends on how bad the penalty would be.

LDUBS said:
You are basically asking for support to falsify a document (legal document) for a boat. I wouldn't do that. Well, you asked.

Now that we phrase it like that I have seen the light. I will not be exploiting this legal loop hole. No sir.

LDUBS said:
You are basically asking for support to falsify a document (legal document) for a boat. I wouldn't do that. Well, you asked.

This is about what I was thinking. As well as it sounds like a good way to have your boat confiscated out from under you, should you get checked by your DNR, and they know, or dig up the numbers, for what they're looking at.
To think further down the road, even if you never get checked, what happens when you try to sell, or your grandson/daughter inherits it, and tries to change legal ownership?

Just sayin'.....Roger

GTS225 said:
LDUBS said:

This is about what I was thinking. As well as it sounds like a good way to have your boat confiscated out from under you, should you get checked by your DNR, and they know, or dig up the numbers, for what they're looking at.
To think further down the road, even if you never get checked, what happens when you try to sell, or your grandson/daughter inherits it, and tries to change legal ownership?

Just sayin'.....Roger

My boat I legally own doesn't have numbers on it at all at least not other than the big stickers on the outside, I think when someone redid the transom they didn't put them back on or things were a little different in the early 60s.

So this is making me think I should have a Hull ID plate for my existing boat made.

That's highly illegal, may even be a felony, IF you got caught. The chances are slim, but I wouldn't try it. Not hard to find good boats with titles.

Agree that it's a major PITA though.

When issued a homemade HIN there are instructions by your state on how to make the HIN plate and what size letter/number stampings to use. You should be able to follow those instructions but you might want to verify it's legal first. Of course, that could open a can of worms if the state wants to examine your boat and know why the HIN tag is missing.

All it takes is one cop in a bad mood. Yes I've met him. The ONLY thing he found wrong was the spacing between the registration letters. Height was good, color was good according to the regulations set forth, trailer tag good, PFD's all good, lanyard, etc. Guy went through EVERYTHING by the book but little did he know, so did I--and I pointed out some gray areas, one of which was the spacing for the registration letters. It doesn't specify any spacing specifics, only says there has to be a space between the state designation and then the numbers following. Verbal warning and I was off the hook....only took him about 45 minutes to do his inspection.

90% of the time it's them looking for alcohol, drugs, PFD's and checking your registration and fishing (or hunting) license.

Latest posts