Best Jon not to Convert to a bass boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishjunkie1

Reaction score
Hi y’all! I am 18 years old and really want to upgrade from my kayak to Jon boat that I can build into a bass boat. I wasn’t sure what the best hull was to build off of. I want something that’s stable, and that can take on the saltwater bays. Thanks!

Fishjunkie1 said:
Hi y’all! I am 18 years old and really want to upgrade from my kayak to Jon boat that I can build into a bass boat. I wasn’t sure what the best hull was to build off of. I want something that’s stable, and that can take on the saltwater bays. Thanks!

The older I get the more I realize every thing in life is a compromise. Let me lay out some options and you can decide what fits you the best.

A v hull, like a mod v or deep V is going to take the waves way better than a flat bottom with a squared or even mod v front. (Google the terms for descriptions) but it's basically from sharpest to flattest Deep Vs, V hulls, Semi V (generally flattens out at the back IMO good compromise) and modified V which is basically a flat bottom boat that happens to come to a point) then actual jon boats which are basically a rectangle.

A regular Jon boat is the most stable in calm water, but does not handle waves well. A regular Jon boat will also be easiest to build out of probably because it's more square, less trouble matching angles of the boat.

It's probably pretty much unsafe especially for an unexperienced boater to take a regular jon boat out on a bay, I would personally go for at least a mod v.

The longer it is the better it will handle waves as well, longer can ride across the tops while a shorter boat will have to go up and down each wave.

Latest posts