Importing an old used tin from US to Canada

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnglerRoy

Reaction score
Anyone have a personal experience doing this? I know what CBSA wants to import, I’m more curious about actual experiences, how CBSA determines import taxes, etc.

I was planning on later using this thread as a informal guide of sorts, after I go through the process myself this Easter weekend. Then...the build thread!

I have never imported a boat but have done a couple vehicles and a quad. They are very good at returning email inquiries. At least they were to me.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I have never imported a boat but have done a couple vehicles and a quad. They are very good at returning email inquiries. At least they were to me.

Were you shocked at import duties or were they inline of what you paid, verses “their determined value”?

Thanks for the email tip! I didn’t realize that was an option!

You also have to send a copy of the boats title to the American side a couple days in advance before you can take it across to the Canadian side. If you spend a couple days over there with a few friends, you can bring back like $800 a person duty free. Is there something specific you want? Because between the hassle and the difference in currency, I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
You also have to send a copy of the boats title to the American side a couple days in advance before you can take it across to the Canadian side. If you spend a couple days over there with a few friends, you can bring back like $800 a person duty free. Is there something specific you want? Because between the hassle and the difference in currency, I wouldn't think it would be worth it.

It’s a free boat I’m getting from my father. He’s cleaning/reducing his inventory. ;-)

Otherwise yes, I wouldn’t bother with importing a boat ever!!!

I haven’t come across anything about informing the US side....

And yeah, I’m aware of the exemptions for time in the US, unfortunately I’m heading over for a day and coming back the following morning.

It's the first thing that popped up when I googled it
1b47958044fcfefc329a85cc58254290.jpg

i did a deep dive into this last fall.all you need is a receipt for the boat,present it to the cbsa,pay the gst.you will need to get the trailer temporarily insured and then inspected and certified at any canadian tire.register it online.it's a very simple process. pats boating in canada has lots of info.

bcbouy said:
i did a deep dive into this last fall.all you need is a receipt for the boat,present it to the cbsa,pay the gst.you will need to get the trailer temporarily insured and then inspected and certified at any canadian tire.register it online.it's a very simple process. pats boating in canada has lots of info.

That’s what I thought too, simply based on somewhat recent posts on pats boating as well as CBSA website.

Do I need to get the trailer insured if I drive straight home with it, I seem to recall something about having 36 hours to pull without a plate/registration.

if i remember correctly you can download a temporary form.i can't remember the form #but pats has it on one of their posts.i was going to use my own trailer to transport the boat,but found out the new motor was not warrantied if i brought it back into canada so that ended that plan.i ended up shipping a new boat from alberta.

Why don't you just have your dad bring it over on a "fishing trip" and just leave it at your house? Old boats like that don't usually have registration anyway. You can tell transport Canada that it's an old family boat that was never registered and they will issue you new numbers for it. All you need is pictures of it and maybe a note from dad verifying that it's an old family boat. Costs nothing. As for the trailer, all my boat trailers are "homemade"

if it stays under 10 hp,no need to register it.i had 2 evinrude 9.9's with the 15 hp mod.my new alumacraft is the first boat i've ever registered.i had my g3 with a 15 and then a 25 that i didn't register either.had that for 7 years.don't know what it's like for registering "homebuilt"trailers in your area,but here in b.c. you need to produce legitimate receipts for every component of the build.you used to be able to give a notarised statement that you built it and good to go.not anymore.

That’s an interesting idea, but the can of worms that could potentially tip over doesn’t sound appealing at all!!! It shouldn’t be a big deal to import it properly, but those might be famous last words.

Latest posts