Transom Cap question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogers954

Reaction score
So when I gutted my transom the old cap got destroyed so I followed the post on here where a guy was redoing a tracker and he used 2 piece of angle to fabricate a new cap. My new transom is completely sealed in epoxy resin and it will be getting a coat of paint as well since it is exposed to the sun in my old lowe. My question is on some other forums I have seen a few references where guys said they put a sealant on top of the wood where the transom cap rested on, most references were for 3m 5200. Is this step needed? From what I could tell people where doing it to give the top of the wood more protection because they claimed that water got trapped in the top under the cap and it rotted theres out which is why they replaced it and its why they put sealant under the cap when rebuilding. Any thoughts?????

Thanks

I never did, but I’d guess they were maybe gluing it on? I use mechanical fasteners.

If needed, I have some aluminum U-channel for 1-1/4” and 1-1/2” thick wood transoms in boat width lengths, can sell cheap.

If you have sealed the transom wood properly, and it sounds like you did, then I can't see any advantage to adhesive at all. I'd use mechanical fasteners like Dale said.

If you use 4200, 5200 or some other adhesive you will never get the transom cap off again if you need too.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
If you use 4200, 5200 or some other adhesive you will never get the transom cap off again if you need too.
Sure you will ... I’ve taken off swim platforms, tuna tower bases, and large frp OB brackets and more off boats, where only 5200 was holding them (after all fasteners removed).

It is a good product - but it sure ain’t magical!

Heat with or without some Anti-Bond 2015 and thinnest SS guitar strings strung between 2 hardwood handles (to use like a ‘saw’), if needed, will remove those items in minutes. And there has never been a screw yet, bedded in it, that I haven’t been able to back out & remove without anything else applied to it.

Thanks fellas I kind of thought the same thing about people simply gluing there caps back on, I was not planning on going that route at all as I will be thru bolting my new one back on the proper way but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something that everyone else was doing. Appreciate the reply's oh and the offer for the cap, Im fabbing mine out of 2 pieces of angle that I have a lot of with my deck framing getting started.

Latest posts