Rivets vs Bolts for Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tloc1000

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the transom on a Tracker Deep V17. It originally had bolts going through the transom and I was thinking on using rivets instead. The Phillips heads of the bolts got all chewed up and we're a pain to get out. I was looking at replacing the with hex head bolts or the closed end pop rivets but haven't found any long enough. I will need them at least 1 1/2 to 2". Other option is the solid rivet. I don't have the tools for solid rivets so I would need to get them. Not sure if it's worth buying all the equipment for the solid or just going back to SS Bolts. Or does anyone know a place to get long closed end rivets.

Take a look at stainless steel round head / button head cap screws.

Thanks Dale and lcksts. Should I be looking for SS 316 or is there a better grade?

tloc1000 said:
Thanks Dale and lcksts. Should I be looking for SS 316 or is there a better grade?
Unfortunately at boat stores and hardware stores you will only find 304 grade stainless steel. You would have to special order 316 grade hardware, but it is not really needed for that application. Tins built using stainless bolts on the transom are built with 304 hardware.

I rebuilt my transom after 20 years and the bolts were fine, even though I replaced them with new 304 series ones. Grease them up good with a good waterproof synthetic grease, like the 'Triple Guard' grease sold by Bombadier, using nylon washers against the tin and they will last forever.

Latest posts