What really is a skiff? Why are guys always standing up?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_cheapo

Reaction score
Also feel free to post any subset of boat and what it's specialized use is? It's so interesting what people do to fit their enviorments.

I'm guessing it's for visibility but I always see "micro skiff" or Jon boat skiff builds where the guy has a tiller motor possibly with an extension and like a rope to hang onto or if he's lucky a grab bar. The build will have the entire boat flat like a surf board on top. Seems like from youtube at least these are common around florida.

Personally I have my mod v tin can decked on the front half for bass fishing and the back has bench/captains seats to watch a catfish rod out the back. It's the perfect compromise for what I do as far as I have figured out so far.

There are a lot of flats in the water around FL so the decking allows you actually look and see the fish. You usually see them pushing the boat around with a pole as well. I like to stand while I'm running up river so I have the center console mounted forward which helps try to read the water with a clear view. My boat has a raised deck up front but it's not all the way to the top.

Standing gives you a much better view of the water. When running rivers, it is common to stand in a raft or a canoe to scout what is ahead. Beware of a straight line across the water. That means either a ledge (okay), a falls (not okay) or a dam (not okay).

Latest posts