1972 Sears 14ft refresh

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadzeilenga

Reaction score
Hi All,
I’m getting ready to haul my 72 Sears 14ft down from IL to NC over Easter break and will be refreshing it. My grandfather bought new and passed down to me. It’s a v-hull fishing boat with 3 bench seats.
The plans are a general clean-up, fixup the seats and install a new garbord drain plug.

I was wondering, are there any boat stands that can be purchased where I could slide off the trailer into my garage? If not, I’ll build one with some rollers on it.

I’ll post some pictures along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a tractor supply near by see if they have any extra foam blocks from when they get a shipment of trailers. Other wise a few old tires will work.
I did build a rolling dolly from a few 2x4's and some carpet scraps.

"If not, I’ll build one with some rollers on it."

That is what I would probably do. I like the idea of the foam blocks too. I probably would not use rollers because I just don't think you need them to transfer the boat from the trailer to your home made stand. You might be able to just muscle it over with just the help of a neighbor or two.

I’ll post some pictures along the way.

Whatever you decide, I look forward to seeing more.

By rolling I meant I put casters on it so I could move it around the garage and driveway.

I usually just put them on saw horses and use a couple boards to block them up to keep them from flopping side to side

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Hi All,
thank you for the really good idea's. What I had in mind originally was some of those 2x4 saw horses with some rollers on the top horizontal piece. Then I can back the boat trailer up to the garage and slide the boat from trailer onto the saw horses easily. I don't have any neighborly help yet. I really like the idea of some wheels at the bases so I can move the whole thing around if needed.

I'll be transporting the whole assembly down the day after Easter. My plans after arriving are as follows:
- Exterior & interior cleaning, removing old decals and the iron stains from outside of hull. Not planning to polish, but just looking to remove any stains so it can be evenly oxidized. Any product recommendations other than CLR...haha?
- Install new letter decals. I was thinking of contacting a vinyl decal shop to have some printed onto 1pc and avoid the individual block letters.
- Install new oar guides. The brass inserts seem to have been ovaled over the years. Need to look for a source on these
- Transom inspection. Last I checked it was very solid, but doesn't hurt to double check. The old "transom pad" that was on there has deteriorated, so I'll be looking for a replacement of that.

After that, it is really just focusing on ensuring that the trailer (homemade in 72) is trouble free, new wiring, rollers, crank etc. It has good tires and bearings are well lubed so I'm good there. I'd also like to install a pair of guide poles on it to make loading easier.

After I get everything functionally reliable, I'd like to start on restoring individual components like the gas tank for the 73 Evinrude 18hp and also get the motor and cover repainted/decaled, but that will probably be next winter.

LDUBS said:
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
By rolling I meant I put casters on it so I could move it around the garage and driveway.

You know that is how I originally read your comment, then I started overthinking it. haha. Anyway, that sounds like a good idea.

OMG, I'm having one of those days where I type faster than my mind works. I thought you were Chadz. This is what happens to us old guys when we don't get to go fishing every week.

Sorry for any confusion.

Generally speaking bunks are better than rollers for aluminum boats. Rollers tend to dent the bottom of the hull.

Hi All,
I made the 12hr (14hr) trek from Chicago to Charlotte today. Had a few hiccups with the cover that was on boat and one of the bolts on trailing arm fell out... luckily I caught early and was able to get a replacement bolt in before any damage.

6b7a2c5a1de058caf7ec8a4d6a358d10.jpg

My first order of business is to go through trailer, rewire and possibly replace shocks. Anyone know of a source?

cb41758cb588a505566c070e5043eb33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Crete huh? I moved to Florida in 2006 from Bolingbrook.
OK here's what I came up with. Harbor Freight sells movers dollies for cheap that are already carpeted. Put the boat at the bottom of your driveway facing the garage, Have a helper move the boat off the trailer sideways onto two dollies. Using ratcheting straps, also at Harbor, strap the dollies to the boat and you're done!

As for the shocks, I'd get car shocks made for a small car. Any will do as that boat and trailer probable doesn't weigh more than 600 pounds. Way less than any car.
I took an old trailer that I bought for $75 and fixed it up myself. Repacked the wheel bearings. Installed Bearing Buddies, put a new winch and coupler and jack stand on it. Once again, most of what you need, Harbor Freight has.

Attachments

• GEDC0720.JPG
    GEDC0720.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 932
  • GEDC0721.JPG
    GEDC0721.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 932

Latest posts