Recommended fuel hose assembly?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
I went out yesterday to run the Mercury 9.9 2-stroke outboard on my 14' Smokercraft and had a couple issues, the biggest being the bulb has aged to the point of being hard as a brick and I have leaks at the connections to the bulb. I won't try to run it again until I replace the fuel line and bulb.

There are lots of options out there with mixed reviews. The best seems to be an OEM replacement:

https://www.amazon.com/MERCURY-Fuel-Line-Primer-Fittings/dp/B00UXN5VOO/ref=sr_1_10?hvadid=190495354764&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9016861&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=16430904988899599451&hvtargid=kwd-306552307629&keywords=mercury+fuel+line+kit&qid=1555251308&s=gateway&sr=8-10

The next best I've found seems to be some of the offerings from Attwood, probably a "Universal" replacement with no fittings. Or is it advised to replace the engine fitting regularly? I'm just curious if there is a preference here on the forum.

Thanks!

Actually, the best primer bulb in the industry is the one made by OMC or Bombardier. Even the Mercury racing team uses them! And that’s all my local Mercury/Mercruiser dealer will use or sell.

Somewhere online there is a dissection and cross-section of about 5 makes of OB primer bulbs and they go from excellent (OMC/Bomb) in design and materials, to pure crap (Tempo).

Friends don’t let friends use crap ...

Is this what were talking about...since OMC no longer exists?

https://shop.evinrude.com/products/553944/Fuel_Hoses

I guess I'll have to figure out if I need 3/8" hose or 5/16" for my 9.9. Pretty sure it is 5/16".

Thanks!

Yamaha makes excellent fuel lines,primer bulbs and fittings that are compatible with Mercury(not bayonet style)

why not make your own fuel line? I do with excellent grade fuel line, quality connectors and etc and I can make it to the exact length I would like. I have my gas tank in the bow of the boat, so I need a longer fuel hose than most.

The John said:
why not make your own fuel line? I do with excellent grade fuel line, quality connectors and etc and I can make it to the exact length I would like. I have my gas tank in the bow of the boat, so I need a longer fuel hose than most.

This is what I do as well, just use standard fuel hose from the parts store.

As long as the line is not in an enclosed bilge area (like an I/O or inboard), you can use any line that's rated for gasoline.

IMO, If you run a gas engine, primer bulbs and fuel lines should be on every pre-float checklist and changed at the first hint of degradation.

I "almost" learned this the hard way on a 2 year old "Sea Ray" that had its fuel line poorly run from the factory that allowed it to rub against the rear cabin bulkhead. On inspection I slid my hand up and down the fuel line and felt that vibration had rubbed the hose right through the reinforcing cord and only a thin rubber wall was left waiting for a disaster to happen.

Replacing / and shortening the fuel line so it could not rub against anything let me sleep at night.

On a related subject on a long cruise (West Palm beach to Marathon key) with the Sea Ray my sintered bronze fuel filter became clogged, and shut down my engine. Gads, crap gas. I dropped anchor, removed the filter and installed one of those visible glass inline filters I kept in my tool box and finished the trip till I could get to a marina for a replacement filter AND install a fuel / water separator.

Note to self... keep spare fuel filters handy especially if you gas up at a marina!

Oh wait, I'm all electric now, fuel filters not necessary :)

I’m really super fanatical/anal about thinking ahead to NOT have problems on the water.. don’t skimp on fuel lines, primer bulbs, and the often overlooked connectors.. the cheap junk from Walmart is useless.. I’ve bought so many over the years and had problems that I’ll never not buy good OEM stuff..

I’m not familiar with the evinrude hose but I love the Yamaha hose/primer..

I’m really super fanatical/anal about thinking ahead to NOT have problems on the water.. don’t skimp on fuel lines, primer bulbs, and the often overlooked connectors.. the cheap junk from Walmart is useless.. I’ve bought so many over the years and had problems that I’ll never not buy good OEM stuff..

I’m not familiar with the evinrude hose but I love the Yamaha hose/primer..

Latest posts