Ideas for boat cover? Keeping the rain from causing sag?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatbottomman

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am about to start storing my boat outside. It is a 1436 with seats and outboard. Need some ideas. Principally, I do not know how I will be able to keep the rain from causing the cover to sag. Curious as to what your ideas are for the type of cover and what you may do to keep the cover from sagging after rain.

I set 2 cheap plastic saw horses up in mine to give some pitch to yhe tarp. Works pretty good.

I use a boat cover support that consists of a telescoping pole & straps. Picture below will do more than I ever could to explain how it works. Front strap wraps around the bow as shown. Rear straps snap into the stern eyes/handles. Kind of makes the boat cover stand up like a tent.

Works great and once you set it up the first time, it take less than a minute to put up or take down. Can find on line or just about any place that sells boat covers. TB sponsor, Boat Covers Direct, has them.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 7.44.04 PM.png

I used to try and get fancy with support bows and ropes, but I have found what works best for me was to throw in some outdoor patio chairs in combination with my pedestal seat I leave in place.

I made a little PVC rack that sits in the floor of my boat and it works great, it is a little more elaborate than it should be and the next one I make I will try to make simpler.

I too use the DIY concept Weldor posted, here’s the picture. Look close & notice that the cross-Ts are partially cut open so they simply ‘snap’ over the gunnel.

Attachments

• 5B805785-EA5F-43C3-8464-CC49E1B75E86.jpeg
    5B805785-EA5F-43C3-8464-CC49E1B75E86.jpeg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,152
i'm with ldubs.a quality cover with support poles and built in vents.they're normally a little thicker than the cheap ones as well.mine came with my boat package and is a really good trailerable cover,virtually no stretch in the wind.mine doesn't come with straps,it clips onto the bottom of the gunwale.the extending poles lock into the round vents and is tight enough to keep any critters out.

Dale - I have same concept as you. The hot sun started distorting the arc pcs, so I reinforced them by bending some 1/2 inch electrical conduit (it was pretty easy) & slipping inside. Now it is all good.

nytebyte said:
I set 2 cheap plastic saw horses up in mine to give some pitch to yhe tarp. Works pretty good.

I do this with the saw horses at each end of my floor, a 5 gallon bucket on the front deck and then a 2x4 from bucket to saw horse and another 2x4 from saw horse to saw horse. All is covered with a heavy duty tarp and secured with standard bungee straps. Holds up to rain, snow and wind without a problem. I'm on my third tarp since '13, so they don't last forever. But at $30 for a heavy duty 20' x 10' tarp I'm happy.

I use a combination of PVC up rights and guy ropes tied to the trailer wrapped around the boat. Keeping the cover tight will eliminate puddling. This works for me. I used this during construction as well as after complete.

Attachments

• 20170527_143306.jpg
    20170527_143306.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,066

Latest posts