First time boater seeking help/advice on boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cgiroux86

Reaction score
Hello all, this will be my first boat so I'm looking for something affordable and that I won't be worried about damaging. My use is an electric only reservoir that's roughly 700 acres. I will probably be fishing solo more than 50% of time, but want something I can take 1 other along. I have found something I like and would like feedback about it and the price I offered ($2k) which was accepted via text. I will link the Craigslist ad below. I appreciate your time and help, this seems like a great community I can become a part of. BTW I haven't fished seriously in 10 years if that matters. Cheers!
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/d/bellmawr-16-foot-
aluminum-bass-boat/6868221803.html

Lets see if this works..

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/d/bellmawr-16-foot-aluminum-bass-boat/6868221803.html

Thanks in advance for your help and time!

That's a nice setup. Nice, very stable hull, the 24 volt system will be great for longevity as long as the batteries are healthy. Trailer looks good enough. Definitely worth $2k here in the Northeast especially this time of year. That's $600 in batteries alone, again, if they are healthy.

Great, that gives me some peace of mind! He said the batteries are good and all have chargers. I'm in the Baltimore metro area, so I figured prices might be a little higher in this neck of woods than other areas. I was pricing out a 1542 tracker and just the trailer and boat would be more. Granted this is old, but has some nice features and seems much more comfortable and stable, especially with 2 men on it. I only plan to use for a short period (maybe 2 seasons), until I am comfortable on the water and running a rig. Appreciate you taking the time to help out. Cheers

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago and I can say that is a good deal. In fact, I'm a little jealous because you got more boat for the same amount of money I did! I'm very happy with my purchase but that is a great deal.

As long as everything looks to be in good condition, then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Take this with a grain of salt as I've only been a boat owner for a few weeks, but from reading online a lot I've noticed that hull age matters rather little. Especially with tin boats like these. What matters is the hull's condition and if it will be good for your needs. Most of the 2k is going towards the motors, batteries, trailer, depth finder, etc.

That looks to be a great rig for 1 or 2 fisherman and also seems to be well worth the price.

Check the date on the batteries.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thank you so much guys! Really makes me feel better knowing I'm not getting hosed. I will update the post once I take delivery. Driving 100 miles seems much more worth it now! Thanks again!

COMMENTS

How old are the batteries? I wouldn’t trust them past 5-years

Wing nuts on the terminals - THROW them away, never use them, use only Nylok lock nuts and put a SS split lock washer down on the post BEFORE adding the cables, for good measure.

DaleH said:
COMMENTS
Wing nuts on the terminals - THROW them away, never use them, use only Nylok lock nuts and put a SS split lock washer down on the post BEFORE adding the cables, for good measure.

Learned that last season! Wing nuts are a super big no no!! My boat was having trouble starting. Would crank a few times, then stop, then click, then crank a little weaker... brought the battery to my marine shop to have it tested and lucky I had the wing nuts on it. He said never ever EVER use them and clean the terminals so good you can see your reflection. CRANK the nuts down good and hard. Wing nuts are a super bad idea on batteries, I had no idea. Boat starts flawless now.

Cgiroux86 said:
Driving 100 miles seems much more worth it now! Thanks again!

A little advice with long distance pickups. Do plenty of research for what documents you need to register it in your state. Be aware that there may be alterations to the 'normal' way if you are buying from someone out of state. Call them if you are not sure.

I live in CT, bought my jon in NY about 1hr 15mins away. Not a bad drive at all. But I had to go back 3 separate times in after getting turned away by the DMV with a new reason each time... And since I work 8-5 Mon-Fri, I would have to wait for Saturday to retry my luck. (CT dmv open Saturday 8-12:30).

I spent hours of research and scouring CL for a tinny, but the hardest part by far was the god **** DMV...

Thanks guys. He said the batteries are 1.5 years old. Those are good batteries right? Thanks for the heads up about out of state purchases. I am going to have to make 2 trips because MD doesn't issue temp transport tags and I need the title and bill of sale to get temp plates for trailer. NJ does offer temp transport plates, but our work schedules aren't conducive with business hours of MVC in NJ. My main concern is I was missing glaring issues from lack of knowledge of what to look for. It's from 93, so i accept some cosmetic imperfections, but as long as it's structurally sound and it will allow me to get comfortable on the water for a season of two I'll be happy. I am sincerely grateful for all of you taking the time to help out a noob and stranger. I will update this thread when I take delivery. Cheers!

jethro said:
DaleH said:
COMMENTS

Learned that last season! Wing nuts are a super big no no!! My boat was having trouble starting. Would crank a few times, then stop, then click, then crank a little weaker... brought the battery to my marine shop to have it tested and lucky I had the wing nuts on it. He said never ever EVER use them and clean the terminals so good you can see your reflection. CRANK the nuts down good and hard. Wing nuts are a super bad idea on batteries, I had no idea. Boat starts flawless now.
They do make nyloc-wing nuts.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
They do make nyloc-wing nuts.

It's not locking that's the issue, guy at the boat store said to really crank them down. Like 60 foot lbs! I know you can use a wrench on wing nuts but basically that negates the whole point of wing nuts, doesn't it? At least how I used them. All I know is now my boat cranks consistently and I'll never be hand tightening battery terminals again. I figured contact is contact, but I was wrong. Maybe on my 25hp, but the 150 draws some amps.

A nice rig. Just remember that being a bass boat it looks like a flat bottom and little freeboard. Watch the weather in such a boat and get off the water when the wind starts.

Latest posts